PDA

View Full Version : For Writers with disabilities

Theglasshouse
November 7th, 2013, 04:17 AM
http://mysite.cherokee.k12.ga.us/personal/bonny_keheley/sstage/Interventions/1/Writing/Writing%20-%20CDO%20Revising%20Strategy.pdf

This is for people with poor, memory, concentration, or special conditions. It wasn't easy to come across. The challenge is to reduce revision time. I am currently consulting a book where I got the information from. If I find more good advice for people who are disabled I will post it here somewhere. It might also be helpful for others who are interested in improving their revision and have no writing disability or handicap.

This link gives free cue cards.

mg357
November 7th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I am disabled and i found this information very helpful thank you.

Theglasshouse
December 2nd, 2013, 05:56 PM
If you need some help let me know since I own a book called Revision and Cognitive Instructional Processes which I recommend by Lucile Chanquoy. Basically, if the writer needs to add cue cards of their own they should because this is the goal of the writer. The theory is revision is goal-oriented. For example, you can revise for style, clarity and grace if you decide to dedicate time reviewing something. That means every time there is a mistake you must check your cue-card list until after you focus on a card. These act almost as if pneumatic devices because they remind you every time by having the paper on your side that something went wrong. So if you make mistakes not on the cue card list add them by all means. Sometimes I make my own up. I have probably 10 more cue cards of mistakes I have observed I do commit. Such as word choice, missing verb, article, and so forth. It's up to you to decide, since my mistakes are unique. Also take a break from the work if need be. But set up goals to revise for specific things. Paraphrasing can be excellent in particular.

Also I have 2 books that I can give you a review of eventually. One of them is called Writing Better by Steve Graham. I doubt you'll need more than this. I gave you the most basic idea. Of the book by Chanquoy, it is expensive. Use the cue cards everyday. You'll most likely improve. I have a special disability.

Just incase, I want to mention there is a book that was written by Joseph M. Williams Style: Lessons on clarity and grace (best book I have on the subject concerning goals for revision). And of course there is correctness of grammar or using it properly. I wanted to add this information to make the information complete. I had to treat my writing as a disability (getting help in general). I don't have a speech therapist nearby.

Beaviz81
December 3rd, 2013, 07:18 PM
My problem is that I'm relatively clueless to what people like, and often feedback provides me with little to nothing new to learn about my writing (guess that's why I brought home so many Ds from school). And I have tried that tactic, though my dyslexia means I often might re-do a part 100 times and still manage to get something wrong.

Theglasshouse
December 3rd, 2013, 08:05 PM
Well. I am not a speech therapist. However, I have gone to a therapist who recommended Word Q Speech Q (buy a recorder since it is not worth it). I have syntactical, coherence, and spelling errors when I write, and auto-executive dysfunction. Usually when I do not write with a set of cue cards it results in multiple errors (use the website cue cards). However, every situation is different of each person. This leads me to believe I do not posses enough knowledge. However get all the resources available, because I believe this is worth if you have a life long passion for writing. The recorders are sold for 30 dollars on amazon. Olympus is a good brand. Also I recommend you try to organize your sentences based on advice from books. I have been prone to syntactical errors and because of this I am often embarrassed. Also, print out your stories for the last few drafts (important). Because the computer can blur what we do not see. My point of view though is not of a dyslexic, it's probably two things, even though I have not been diagnosed (except for auto-executive problems). Follow writer tools of the trade. The most professional writers take a longer time. Knowledge of grammar can be issue, since that is content knowledge. Since grammar in English is complex. Try to get the ones respected by academics. Get books on dyslexia. Again this is a steep investment. Treat it as a subject you can read. Search engines can help you find a lot of things. I know I have short term memory loss. In writing. So I hope some of my advice has been of help. However, do what you can. Giving up is worse. Language is a very important skill to have. Using writing strategies will help you and when your expertise in every area increases (Lucile mentions this). One day eventually you can do something tangible. Sorry for the very long post.

edit: Here is a website link by one of the authors cited in the book. I was surprised when I found it. It talks about what I already said but calls it self-regulation.

http://www.teachingld.net/pdf/alert17writingSSRD.pdf

Whosthatboy305
September 19th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the post :-)