PDA

View Full Version : Website with free grammar and revision guidelines for prose writing

Theglasshouse
October 9th, 2013, 01:25 AM
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/irp/editing-tips-effective-writing

I originally "goggled" errors in prose writing. I came across this. I found out that sometimes we make some mistakes, that can make prose uneven or not equal. I had tried a long piece. I think this is good enough for almost any level of writing. However, it takes a lot dedication and practice. You need a rough outline first, as the writer notes. Then you can make a better structured piece using more powerful verbs. Don't use verbs such as "feel, hope," or finding and replacing very common verbs in your writing. It is worth checking this website, and the article is a little long but convenient for online reading. These fall under revision rules for writing. He calls these cardinal rules.

Morkonan
October 29th, 2013, 09:31 PM
This is an excellent piece! I've shamelessly copied and pasted it in my own little reference library, with proper attribution, of course! :D

/bookmarked

PS - By the way, they misspelled "sentence" as "sentance" in one part. I guess they had more important stuff to talk to writers about than spelling...

Tan
November 2nd, 2013, 07:10 PM
wow i did not catch the sentence misspelling. This is an interesting read. Thanks for it (:

martinCHwriter
April 24th, 2014, 07:59 AM
thanks for sharing it

garza
April 24th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Thank you but I'll stick with Fowler, Hart's Rules, and the Oxford Concise.

J.C.O Goss
May 6th, 2014, 01:22 AM
Looks like it could be helpful... I've done so much reading today that I can't really focus, but I'll look at it later.

Ixarku
May 6th, 2014, 03:30 AM
Something I find myself struggling with is how to handle ending quotations. I think I usually handle them correctly, but it's nice to actually see the rule conform with my expectations.

Ending Quotations can be a vexation, but the current (arbitrary) rule is that the close-quote marks reside outside the concluding punctuation in a sentence. See Churchill quotations above. The correct order is (1) final word; (2) period, question mark, or exclamation; (3) close-quote. But if the punctuation is yours, not that of the person quoted, then it falls at the end, outside the close quotes. As in: Why did Churchill use the provocative phrase "Iron Curtain"?

Greimour
May 6th, 2014, 03:50 AM
Some of that read like pants vs planning... other sections were useful... other sections go against my style. Like I use some things intentionally because they are going extinct. Like the semi-colon. I am still trying to make it work, but I am determined to keep the endangered semi-colon alive. After all, only writers can keep their existence meaningful.

Anyway, for the most part, I am sure I will find a majority of that useful. Or some, at the very least.

garza
May 6th, 2014, 05:09 PM
The best explanation of the use of quotation marks can be found in Fowler's Modern English Usage. The article in Fowler's is based on Hart's Rules, the bible of punctuation. I use the third, Burchfield, edition of Fowler's.

Many editors have their own rules regarding punctuation, so don't be surprised if the copy you see in print differs slightly from the copy you filed.

I look with suspicion on anything not approved for use at the OUP.