PDA

View Full Version : Attempt to "study" Ligne Claire style

har134
October 4th, 2013, 02:18 PM
deleted

Gumby
October 4th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I am not familiar with that style, but I do like your example. It is very clean, as you say. Nice work. :)

har134
October 4th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I am not familiar with that style, but I do like your example. It is very clean, as you say. Nice work. :)

Thanks. You can check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_claire

vangoghsear
October 7th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Not a bad effort. Watch out for haystacked lines. The style tries to avoid giving added weight to any particular line, and haystacking (the process of starting a line and stopping it next to another instead of drawing a steady single line) appears as a shading hatch. I see a bit that comes off as haystacking such as the far inner elbow of the guy in green, or his neckline above his near arm for instance. Still not bad. Post some more.

We had to do a similar style in a drawing class I took. Continuous lines, contours created simply by which lines overlap (which you have done rather well in your example), no shading in those works, and no variation in line weight or darkness. It was an interesting exercise in precise drawing.

har134
October 8th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Not a bad effort. Watch out for haystacked lines. The style tries to avoid giving added weight to any particular line, and haystacking (the process of starting a line and stopping it next to another instead of drawing a steady single line) appears as a shading hatch. I see a bit that comes off as haystacking such as the far inner elbow of the guy in green, or his neckline above his near arm for instance. Still not bad. Post some more.

We had to do a similar style in a drawing class I took. Continuous lines, contours created simply by which lines overlap (which you have done rather well in your example), no shading in those works, and no variation in line weight or darkness. It was an interesting exercise in precise drawing.

Thanks. I do plan on posting more drawings.

har134
October 10th, 2013, 10:12 AM
deleted

Gumby
October 10th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Nice. :) On a personal level, I don't think you need the partial clouds that show peeking out from under his arm and on the side of the speech bubble. They kind of distract, to me.

har134
October 10th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Nice. :) On a personal level, I don't think you need the partial clouds that show peeking out from under his arm and on the side of the speech bubble. They kind of distract, to me.
Thanks. Yes, the speech was placed after the whole background was drawn. Probably I should have made the bubble cover the whole cloud.

har134
October 17th, 2013, 04:27 PM
deleted

har134
October 24th, 2013, 05:07 PM
deleted

TheLamprey
October 26th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Very interesting, I'm intrigued. Please, make more.
Good use of lines and all in all it looks fantastic

har134
October 26th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Very interesting, I'm intrigued. Please, make more.
Good use of lines and all in all it looks fantastic

Thanks. :)