PDA

View Full Version : Too much thought of selling and marketing my book on my mind

sunaynaprasad
August 30th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Ever since my book came out earlier this month and (sadly) didn't make any sales, I haven't been able to put my mind on anything else. I have started my junior year of college and am slower with my homework than I was on the first day. I also couldn't write my next book that I've been writing for a month. I've only written two chapters. Is this too much? I think I need to get my mind off of my book on the market every now and then. I've been asking some friends on my Facebook page and they did get interested, but they didn't buy the book yet. But it's getting overwhelming.

dale
August 30th, 2013, 06:57 PM
the secret to self promotion is to act like an idiot and say whatever comes to mind. i'm learning this on twitter and facebook. the more i just
pop off the 1st thing in my head? the more attention i get.

felix
August 30th, 2013, 08:42 PM
You're doing the right thing in writing something else. Just move onto the next project. Don't stop.

Putting anything out into the marketplace doesn't change anything. You have to build up a following, and gain a foothold in the digital area, before you're going to make any sales. It doesn't mean a thing about your book that it isn't flying off the shelves immediately. It takes time; according to the folks at KBoards, the consensus is that it takes between six months and a year -- and this is with consistent advertisement and engagement with readers -- to see sales figured worth talking about.

Stick with it! We're all here for you. The sales will come.

movieman
August 30th, 2013, 10:20 PM
August sucks for e-book sales, anyway. I make most of mine from November to June, then it drops way down for the summer.

sunaynaprasad
August 30th, 2013, 10:47 PM
I didn't know that.

sunaynaprasad
September 1st, 2013, 10:11 PM
Why is August the time where book sales are the slowest?

movieman
September 2nd, 2013, 06:10 AM
Why is August the time where book sales are the slowest?

In the northern hemisphere, it's summer, so most people have better things to do than read. Lots of books sell to the 'I buy one book a year to read on vacation' crowd, but they're generally buying the one book that Stephen King or some other big name writer has released that year, not something random by an author they've never heard of.

Caragula
September 2nd, 2013, 09:13 AM
You have to start focusing on the next book, but if there's a bit more you can do, blog tour etc. you should take a step back and make a list of any outstanding selling strategies you haven't tried. But, steel yourself for it just not being good enough for a readership to grow around. It might well be the next Animal Farm, but it might not. That's how I'm thinking about my book that's doing the rounds. If it's good enough, there will be interest. Or, I'll be unlucky, the next book will get some interest and everyone will discover this one :) Either way, move on and close out any selling avenues not exploited, just don't kill yourself about it.

sunaynaprasad
September 2nd, 2013, 03:50 PM
I did do a blog tour and got mostly good reactions when it came to reviews. Maybe it's just normal for new books not to sell right after they're published unless they're by a top author.

Hunter56
September 2nd, 2013, 04:39 PM
In the northern hemisphere, it's summer, so most people have better things to do than read. Lots of books sell to the 'I buy one book a year to read on vacation' crowd, but they're generally buying the one book that Stephen King or some other big name writer has released that year, not something random by an author they've never heard of.

Reading's one of the best things anyone can do anywhere at anytime.:encouragement:

I haven't reached this point so I can't say I'm very experienced with it. I do know though that it's insanely hard to self promote things on the internet. You have to shove it down people's throats and be relentless to try and make some sales -- especially if it isn't going well.

dale
September 2nd, 2013, 05:10 PM
I did do a blog tour and got mostly good reactions when it came to reviews. Maybe it's just normal for new books not to sell right after they're published unless they're by a top author.
my only real plan for when my ebook is released next summer, is just hoping to get newspapers and mags to review the work. i don't mean big time
papers and mags, but more local ones. i have a journalist friend who has already told me she can get me a review in a couple different papers, and then
i have my hometown newspaper. i don't live there anymore, but it's small city who still puts peoples names in the paper for speeding tickets and crap.
so i could probably convince them to run a review for a hometown boy simply because they have nothing better to write about. i don't know how much
good all that will do my sales, but i'm not really good at the social networking thing. like a lot of writers, i'm just not really a "people person". so i thought the newspaper thing would be more realistic for me.

sunaynaprasad
September 3rd, 2013, 01:30 AM
@Hunter56 What if people get mad? Then they won't buy my book, because I just kept bothering them.

movieman
September 3rd, 2013, 02:06 AM
What if people get mad? Then they won't buy my book, because I just kept bothering them.

Yeah.

One of the common complaints I see from readers is "I followed this author on Twitterbook and all they do is post 'buy my book' every five minutes. I'm never buying anything they write ever again." Bad idea.

philistine
September 3rd, 2013, 02:11 AM
Yeah.

One of the common complaints I see from readers is "I followed this author on Twitterbook and all they do is post 'buy my book' every five minutes. I'm never buying anything they write ever again." Bad idea.

One of the basic rules of blogging, tweeting, tumblring, or whatever else- is that you must have good, quality, unique content. Like a book. A good book. If you have a good book, then people will gladly seek it out, and in turn, search for more of your work, provided there's more available.

Spamming 'buy my book' and its derivatives constantly is the equivalent of posting garbage ten times a day.

Hunter56
September 3rd, 2013, 03:34 AM
That wasn't what I meant really -- I guess I worded it wrong.

Of course you shouldn't spam "buy my book" every 5 minutes. You gotta be a lot more thoughtful and clever than that with your advertising.

"Assertive" is the right word. You need to give people a reason to buy your book, and sometimes they can't see that reason until you go to them and tell him/her why they should spend their money on your writing. Yes, there's a chance some people might get annoyed when you're trying to sell it to them but hey, you gotta try. If they didn't buy it the first time then they probably weren't gonna buy it anyway so it shouldn't matter if they get irritated or not.

Like I said, I'm not at this stage yet so I don't have much experience on the subject, but I hope this helps.

sunaynaprasad
September 8th, 2013, 03:40 AM
It helps. I'm starting to take a break from worrying about my book sales. One of my relatives bought my ebook, so that made me happy. Now I want to write again, but I can't the words onto the paper. Maybe it'll just take time to get back in the mood to write.