PDA

View Full Version : fast/slow poetry

escorial
August 15th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I myself cannot define it but I'm drawn to poetry that can be read quicker then others....It's not about how big/small a piece is but the way it flows.My question to you is, does the pace at which it's read ever come into your reckoning?

Blade
August 15th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Very much so in the sense that if a piece is wordy and nebulous it slows down the read and becomes something of a chore. I much prefer a dense, concise work that seems to speed along.

ma348212
October 29th, 2013, 04:20 AM
The faster the poem can go, the better for me. If I stumble and have to stop, I am zapped from the zone.

Gumby
October 29th, 2013, 04:40 AM
Often it comes down to the enjambment of a piece and whether it works or not. You can use enjambment to speed up the rate of the read, here is an example and explanation from an educational website:

A line which does not end with a grammatical break, that is, where the line cannot stand alone, cannot make sense without the following line, is enjambed. "Enjambment" comes from a French word meaning to put one's leg across, or to step over, just as the sense of the line steps over the end of the line. Here are a few lines from Keats' Endymion (a poem, like Chaucer's, in iambic pentameter rhyming couplets) which demonstrate how enjambment works:

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and asleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.(ll .1-5)
The first and last lines above are end-stopped; lines 2, 3 and 4 are enjambed.Here's another example, this time from a sonnet by Wordsworth:

It is a beauteous evening, calm and free, The holy time is quiet as a Nun Breathless with adoration; the broad sun Is sinking down in its tranquillity.

escorial
October 29th, 2013, 01:25 PM
ma348212 (http://www.writingforums.com/members/54237-ma348212) .I agree..the faster the better...... Gumby (http://www.writingforums.com/members/40029-Gumby)..enjambed....what a word..never heard that before.

dannyboy
October 30th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Why must poetry be sped read, unless its all about easy effort. I like poetry that makes me stop and think. Some poems offer up a line that make me stop, a day or three might go by before I return to finish that poem. That's enjambment!
Speed is useful as a tool but not as the only means.

escorial
October 31st, 2013, 01:15 PM
I treat poetry like my choice in music..some you can just listen to with ease and others take a more relaxed approach and get a feel for everything that is going on.

Pandora
October 31st, 2013, 02:01 PM
Fast or slow it must go to my heart, the desire there. Sometimes that is because I can personally relate to the message or content.
Sometimes I feel the authors heart, can stand with them, in their shoes and empathize. Sometimes neither and the poem is beautiful
in word choice and style. I love to read other's poetry because I want to feel but even more so support the process.
It's a beautiful thing, poetry.

Gumby
October 31st, 2013, 04:00 PM
I'm with danny, my favorite kind of poetry is the kind that makes me stop and think. I don't pay any attention to how fast or slow it reads, other than to admire how the author has used language to create a faster or slower pace and feel. However, I don't want to notice those things on a first read, I want to be caught up in the work, itself, taken into the poem and go where it sends me.

As an example I'm going to put danny's 'Donkey's Ears' (http://www.writingforums.com/threads/142837-Donkey-s-Ears)forward. It's a rather long poem, as most poems go these days. You can't read it lickity-split and possibly 'get' what it's about. It's not an 'easy reading' poem, because it demands that you stop and think about what is being said. Not everyone's cup of tea and not for day's when you don't want to get your brain dirty by digging. :)

And if you really feel like a challenge read danny's Dada's Seed. (http://www.writingforums.com/threads/131231-Dada-s-Seed-Long-version?highlight=Dada%27s+Seed)

Olly Buckle
November 7th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Metre has a lot to do with it as well, that quote Gumby gives from a Wordsworth sonnett is in iambs, that helps the slow reflective quality of the description of evening. On the other hand limericks are anapaestic, which tends to make things roll along. Another example of anapaestic metre,

The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold
And his cohorts were gleaming in silver and gold

Compare that to a Shakespeare speech, which are, I think all, in iambic pentameters, and you will see they naturally break up in a way that stops a line being read off in one as you can the above.

In something like
If music be the food of love/ play on
give me excess of it/ that surfeiting
the appetite may sicken/ and so die

There are two parts to each line, this is a common consequence of a ten syllable iambic line and the poet will use the pause to separte things further, but it does not make for a quick read.

A tip for anybody who reads out loud, read very slowly, it is always your perception that you are reading more slowly than you are in fact, when you draw it out and linger over every syllable to the extent that you are afraid it will sound ridiculous you will find people saying "That was beautifully read, I followed every word, and you put so much into it."

Why is it that I have this sneaking suspicion that the people who only like fast poetry don't really like poetry at all, they simply want it to be over as quickly as possible? :)

escorial
November 9th, 2013, 12:14 AM
maybe ..ha

escorial
November 9th, 2013, 12:17 AM