PDA

View Full Version : Some of my photography: thoughts?

Sparktheunknown
July 26th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I need a new lens. But since I don't have 1600 bucks laying around for that f2.8 telephoto... i'm making do.

Flickr: amosunknown's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/amosunknown/)

Gumby
July 26th, 2013, 09:58 PM
You have some really neat photo's there. I've browsed through quite a few of them, but I'll be back to look through some more, for sure. Do you rodeo, or just like to watch them?

Gargh
July 26th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Love the one titled 'Smokies creek'. I wanted to step through the screen and climb the stream bed :)

Sparktheunknown
July 26th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Pulease. I was born a poor white girl in the midwest. I couldn't even convince the family patriarch to let me put a horse on the place until I was 17. I have always loved the rodeo though. Its just so American. Like soldiers and football. Only better smelling. I love the action of it. But it has to be APR PBR or other national sanctions. I'm not into the prison rodeos where its a gala of animal cruelty and the like.

John_O
July 26th, 2013, 10:36 PM
I don't have the fastest computer but from most of the images I saw, they are very good!!! Oh and personally, even though I do have a 2.8 lens I think they are over rated for 90 % of photography. I rarely open up any more than F/5.6 anyway.

Sparktheunknown
July 26th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I would only need it for my low light action shoots- like the rodeo. All the bull riding is always after dark. Stadium lighting- even indoors, just never cuts it for the settings I need to get he flying grit and cartwheeling cowboys. What are you shooting with? Canon or Nikon?

Sparktheunknown
July 26th, 2013, 10:50 PM
dragon cloud | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/amosunknown/6983415369/)

Guys, seriously, how lucky is this shot? This is only edited to increase contrast. I rolled up on this cloud and got a few shots of it last fall. OMG. OMG! its a dragon cloud! hahahaha!

Gumby
July 26th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Now that's a cloud! Very neat.

John_O
July 26th, 2013, 11:14 PM
I would only need it for my low light action shoots- like the rodeo. All the bull riding is always after dark. Stadium lighting- even indoors, just never cuts it for the settings I need to get he flying grit and cartwheeling cowboys. What are you shooting with? Canon or Nikon?

I use Canons, for no other reason then that's the first brand I bought.

Sparktheunknown
July 26th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Ditto. I grew up on an old canon 35mm. I loved that thing.

Sparktheunknown
July 27th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Does anyone have a solution for low light action from a distance that doesn't involve a new lens?

escorial
July 27th, 2013, 05:59 PM
very American Pie..liked the rodeo.

Staff Deployment
August 3rd, 2013, 10:56 AM
Does anyone have a solution for low light action from a distance that doesn't involve a new lens?

Have you tried . . . (digs up what little knowledge of cameras is dredged away) . . . widening the aperture?

Anyway the photos are great, especially the shots of nature. That misty river near the top and some of the interesting clouds further down are particularly enticing because it feels as if the shots have such purpose behind them — you're not showing us a river, you're showing us the river, the only one of its kind.

WackedWes
August 13th, 2013, 04:01 AM
These are some amazing photos! I've been wondering, how do you get such clear pictures of the night sky like those first two?? I've tried time and again, but never been able to get a good starry night. What f-stop and shutter speed do you usually use? ISO? I absolutely love your picture of the sunlight streaming through the shimmering clouds over a forest bordered field.

tabasco5
August 23rd, 2013, 09:20 PM
You have a good eye for composition, color, and general aesthetics. If I could make one recommendation it would be to remove some of the similar and/or duplicate pictures. For example, there were 5 or 6 of a river that were similar, numerous similar rodeo shots, etc. that could be removed. The collection is of great quality, but could be made better with some filtering. That way, one could scroll down and see a variety of unique and interesting photos.

With intensity
August 23rd, 2013, 09:53 PM
Spark the unknown,
I did not look at your photos. And since I am not 100% sure you aren't just trying to be funny I wont say much here save this thought;
This is "writing forum"... why does this website have a section for other kinds of arts? Is this the Walmart of creative writing websites? "Drop by and get your critique done and have your photos fluffed while you wait!" I have no one to blame but myself.

Your comment "like soldiers and football only smells better" is frightening or hysterical. Still trying to decide.

Staff Deployment
August 24th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Hey Intensity, while the site is primarily about writing it also includes other creative endeavours, considering how closely-tied writing is to other forms of art and how easily the lines can be blurred. Instead of imposing strict limitations, we simply have creative boards to accommodate all forms of art and expression.

With intensity
August 24th, 2013, 05:41 AM
I see.

tabasco5
August 24th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Spark the unknown,
I did not look at your photos. And since I am not 100% sure you aren't just trying to be funny I wont say much here save this thought;
This is "writing forum"... why does this website have a section for other kinds of arts? Is this the Walmart of creative writing websites? "Drop by and get your critique done and have your photos fluffed while you wait!" I have no one to blame but myself.

Your comment "like soldiers and football only smells better" is frightening or hysterical. Still trying to decide.

One great thing about the free market is you are free to stay or leave as you please. I'm sure there is a forum that will suit your needs specifically, and if not you can create one!

tinacrabapple
November 17th, 2013, 02:12 AM
I was impressed! Nice album.

LeeC
February 23rd, 2014, 04:07 AM
Great photos. I'm not into rodeos, as I've had my fill (and don't think the smell is any better :-)

But the natural world serenity scenes really draw me in.

Keep up the good work,
LeeC

White Rabbit Ninja
April 6th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Very nice photos! :D

:cat:

Cran
April 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM
A generation or two back, you would have been earning a decent living with your skills - good eye, good hand, great sense of composition.

I would only need it for my low light action shoots- like the rodeo. All the bull riding is always after dark. Stadium lighting- even indoors, just never cuts it for the settings I need to get he flying grit and cartwheeling cowboys. Much simpler, and less expensive, to stock up on higher ISO film for low light work. ISO 400 is (still) relatively widely available; for ISOs of 800 or higher, you would probably have to find a dedicated supplier (film stockist). Another option is to go digital for low light work.

This is "writing forum"... why does this website have a section for other kinds of arts?
This question should have been asked of me, not of a member.

Why?
Because many writers are not just writers but creative artists in many fields.
Because many writers work better with, or are inspired by, images, music, or other forms of creativity.
Because writers serious about getting published also need to think about image, design, artwork; all things that go with writing or the published package.
Because sometimes even writers need to step outside.

David K. Thomasson
April 8th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Better lenses might be nice, but you have a fine eye, and that counts for more than hardware.

I'm only a so-so photographer but make up for it in post-processing. Moon Plane especially caught my eye, and my retouchers brain immediately saw this revision (if you don't like others messing with your images, say the word and I'll make it vanish):

http://s6.postimg.org/m3ogbla9t/moonplane2.jpg