PDA

View Full Version : Trying to learn to draw... whaddaya think?

Gargh
July 15th, 2013, 09:31 PM

Okay, this one may tell you more about me than I would normally care for you to know ;) Ahem. I mean, like how I've been working through Drawing for the Artistically Undiscovered to try and learn how to draw some of my own characters - just pen and ink but enough to be able to see them :)

Ellis D Williams
July 15th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Drawing was actually my first passion, and I've only recently gotten back into it. Truly, it depends on what sort of style it is you want to learn - realism, simple comic book, graphic novel, fashion, cartoons? Depending on that, there are a number of books and even videos on youtube I could recommend!

The comic looks fine for a comic - bit hard to read, but that's about it. Things like that are not expected to be very realistic. :P

PiP
July 15th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Love it! It certainly made me smile...and I luuuv your hairy legs :)

escorial
July 15th, 2013, 09:51 PM
what a talented fox you are.

Gargh
July 15th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Depends on what sort of style it is you want to learn - realism, simple comic book, graphic novel, fashion, cartoons?

I go horribly haywire whenever I try to do anything other than pen and ink comic style drawings. I seem to be okay at capturing the idea of things but nothing realistic. Fortunately that seems to be as far as I need to be able to go - the particular books I want to illustrate are for c.10-12 year olds so I figure that style will be okay? Thanks for the feedback :)

Love it! It certainly made me smile...and I luuuv your hairy legs :)

Thanks PiP! I grew them in specially so I could live model that ;)

& Ta muchly escorial, who's just popped up at the bottom of the screen whilst I've been typing this :)

WechtleinUns
July 15th, 2013, 10:38 PM
If that's the level you want to be at, then it's perfectly fine. This is a writing forum, so you're not likely to get harsh criticism. But on an art forum or drawing submission site, stuff like this gets flamed pretty badly. I've had more than enough work torn into to know that it's not pleasant, and easy to just stick with line figures.

There's really nothing wrong with comic and cartoonish style. Even I don't do rembrant-style paintings. But I also know that it can be intimidating to try to improve or draw stuff that is more detailed and realistic. It's also really easy to decieve ourselves that we are satisfied with our current level, and don't need to improve.

So if you are really satisfied with being able to draw at this level, great! If you want to learn how to draw more realistically, it will take effort and trial by fire. I've seen petty, thin-skinned artists on art critique sites just as often as writers on writing sites.

And on coding forums... Jesus Christ. ;)