PDA

View Full Version : Destiny Cottage (Language)

escorial
June 5th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Part of the book I'm writting with insperation from the poem...The Raven

As he packed his rucksack behind the hostel he glanced up at the roof and perched there was the raven watching him.Was it the same bird that was following him yesterday,he picked up a stone and threw it but the raven just watched.From behind came the sound of a vehicle down the road,he turned watched as the truck pulled up alongside of him.A young girl got out aand greeted him.
“you camp here last night then.”
“Yeah”
“Sorry it was closed but the ,electric’s failed.”
“Oh!”
“Health n saftey reg’s,engineer coming soon to fix it.”
He watched her move away and beckon him around to the front of the building,first he though very nice,long dark hair and a shapley butt.
“I can offer you a cuppa,gas still on.”
“Thanks.”
She opened the door pointed at the bench and walked into the kitchen.He placed his rucksack on Ythe floorboards and sat on the bench.
“Tea or Coffee?”
“Black coffee.”
She placed the cup in his hands as they both looked out of the doors.
“You a student?”
“No..just come to take in the place and enjoy.”
“You won’t be disapointed,returning this way or carrying on.”
“Returning back to the town,following a set map from a leaflet in the hotel,I picked up.”
Just then a rattle on the roof made them both look and the stone fell onto the boards outside.
“Weird!”..she seid.
He stood up walked forward and picked the stone up.Convinced it was the stone he threw at the raven he moved onto the clearing outside and looked up at the roof.There it was looking at him.
“Check this out.”..he beckond her forward.As he watched her come towards him he explained.
“Threw this at the bird on the roof befor you arrived and it’s still there,Im sure it’s following me!”
She looked up,nothink.No raven to view.
“It was there befor,”
A car arrived with the electric engineer and they parted company.
“see you on your way back.”
“Sure”
He walked of following the path.that would lead him through Ravens wood,it looked dense,dark without much light coming through.The path was well trodden so of into the wood he walked.City people always expexct complete silence in the countryside and are often bemused by how much noise there is.As he walked on unaware as to how many eyes viewed him,some even let them be glimpsed for a fleeting second.Ten minutes he walked befor he could see the clearing ahead of him,reaching it there was benches and tables cemented into the ground for people to rest and take inthe view.Ahead was the end of the cliffs with a wire fence running alongside it,after that was the expance of the sea and the clouds rolling in.He climbed between the bench and table,sitting he reached for the strap of his rucksack.he noticed spots of rain on the wooden bench and looked up at the sky.Thud!..went the dead hare,it’s body lying on the bench while it’s head fell limp over the side.Startled he fell backwards with the weight of his rucksack pulling him down his legs trapped between the solid bench.Looking up from the ground he stared into the dead hares eyes and then the pain from his left leg,shot up his body.
“Shit,shit.”
He pushed the rucksack to oneside and was left looking skywards with the pain.up above him the Raven circled watching his every move.

escorial
June 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM
The opening of my novel..which is half finished....

It didn't take long to load the passengers and luggage onto the coach and be set on our way.As the coached moved on , I had a feeling of running away from all that I had acheived and failed at recently.I did not cry but i recalled in my mind the reasons for moving away from this place.The journey was uneventfull as I took time to look out the window and not realy view all that was passing my glance.The driver gave various comments about how far and how long the journey would take but his tone lacked any emotion.I never took much notice of the other passengers while they conversed and spoke on their mobiles.When we reached the coach depot and alighted,I took a quick glance of some of the passengers.A Nigerean man holding his child close,a young student with earphones in oblivious to everythink.I pulled my luggage into the waiting area for my next coach and noticed a well dressed old man with his belongings firmly placed by his side,so I dumped my rucksack opposite him and checked on the screen my coaches arrival.As i fumbled from one pocket to another the old man seid,"your not very organised."with a rye smile.I replied yes your right but i've never been a good packer."I can open any part of my luggage and retreive exactly what i want."Fine i thought and complimented him on his packing.He laughed but not lowdley more of a quite laugh,which made me decide there an then if i liked him or not.

escorial
June 6th, 2013, 06:06 PM
The old guy got on the same coach as me,standing behined him i offered,"your very lucky to live in such a nice part of this country."he turned smiled and boarded the coach.Delibiratly again i sat opposite him but tried to make it look like i was taking the first available seat.He pulled from his small bag a book of Ravens and i watched him through the corner of my eye study the book with great intent."Enjoying the book.".I seid"yes!what brings you to my corner of the world?"he replied"just thought I would pick a nice spot and do a bit of walking."he just carried on looking at his book and it wasn't until a good hour later he asked me."Is there anythink that particulary intrest's you about our destination.?..we talked on and off throught the jorney often with me prompting a reply.Few hours later the coach arrived and we stood together ouside ready to part company, when to my suprize he seid."If you return back to here when you've finished your trecking look me up at Destiny Cottage."I looked at him and he seemed neither concerned wether i accepted or not."Destiny Cottage how would i find it."his response."Ask anyone around here on your return who doesn't look like a tourist and they will point you in the right direction."i smiled and seid "thanks.He walked of to the cab stand and sat in the taxi then called me over."PLease take this book,you may find it of intrest on your journey."..once again I thanked him and watched the taxi pull away,I looked at the book"Ravens put it in my rucksack and set of to find a cheap B an B for the night.

escorial
June 6th, 2013, 11:05 PM
He found a b&b but left early in the morning made his way downstairs to the lobby where he picked out a leaflet showing a round trip that would take two days to complete.Sunshine and clear skies the perfect start, he looked out over the harbour and watched boats sailing away.It wasn't long befor beautiful costal views were there for his pleasure,some time later the path led onto a wide open beach and he walked along,closer and closer a couple came towards him.Their black labradour was chasing the drift wood thrown for his pleasure,the dog reached him first and beckond him to throw.A middle age couple arrived and the women spoke first."He thinks everyone is his playmate."they stood still and he greeted ."Enjoying the place."the man asked.."yes,what a view" as they all looked out into the sea the man replied."I prefer the winter view ,when the sea's angry and the clouds move in with threatining noises." an odd point of view but one shared and an answer seemed in order."sunny days,nice walking weather for me."The woman politley asked him"You just begining your treck alone," as the dog returned."yes but on my way back I will be visiting Destiny Cottage." the couple looked at each other and nodded their goodbyes,as they walked on he turned and seid,"goodbye."the women paused and replied."stay away from Destiny Cottage."Weird how a conversation can turn in an instant and you have no idea why,but who would prefer winter views to summer views maybie they prefered the beach to themselves.Fifteen minutes later he was back on the cliffs walking along not a person insight for a good two miles ahead.OPen sea to his left and unspoilt country to his right soon to be passing farmed feilds and a narrower track.He looked at his map and estimated 3 hours to the hostel which would take him just over midday.Putting the map back in his pocket he pulled out a energy bar and stood while he ate.Seaguls came flying up from the cliffs the noise broke the tranquility.he walked on as the seagulls calmed,either they were sensing danger or wanted food he thought.Now in front of him was a wooden fence were the farmers field had recently been ploughed.Further on he could see a large black bird sitting on one of the post,half expecting it to move as he got close,he was now feet away from it and he turned to look parralel with the black raven standing there watching him.How much bigger they are close up he thought,so shiny and black,it turned it's head and one eye as black as night stared at him"Shooo!" he yelled moving his hands upward.Not a flicker..it just stared so he moved on"an not scared he thought."As he walked he was still alone but his eyes caught a shadow on the grass,he looked up and there was the Raven following him.

escorial
June 7th, 2013, 01:01 PM
It wouldn't belong now befor he reached the hostel.As it came into view he could see it was a half brick and wooden structure.From a distance there didn't appear to be much activity,when he arrived at the front he released his rucksack and placed it on the floor.He could see a notice in the window."closed for repair."Not a problem he thought as I have all I need with me to sleep and cook for myself.He walked around the back of the building and decided to pitch his tent there were the building would give him protection if the winds came rolling in from the sea later on.He checked the doors at the back out of curiosity then looked at the view.To his left was a cage with gas cannisters in and bins but animals small enough to reach through the maesh had already disturb the bins.In the distance a road veered straight befor it and turned and disapeared befor a clump of tree's.He pitched his tent and gathered some dry wood to start himself a fire an cook a tin of beans.The light began to fade and he felt there may be a likehood of rain soon enough so he climbed into the tent and used the electric lamp to locate the book he had been given previously.It was a hardback book with a Picture of a Raven standing alone behined a dark red background.The first page had a poem written in ink.The Raven..he read on and realised someone had added the poem to the book by Edgar Poe.Soon he fell asleep and awoke some hours later,looking at his watch he summized he had slept a good bit and it was time to start packing up and move on.He packed his belongins away and was in the process of using his foot to squash the tent furthe rin his rucksack when he looked up at the roof of the hostel.Dark grey clouds waiting for day to break and standing there watching him the Raven,he thought to himself is that the same bird that was following me yesterday.

escorial
June 7th, 2013, 01:02 PM
He picked up a stone and threw it but the raven just watched.From behind came the sound of a vehicle down the road,he turned watched as the truck pulled up alongside of him.A young girl got out aand greeted him.
“you camp here last night then.”
“Yeah”
“Sorry it was closed but the ,electric’s failed.”
“Oh!”
“Health n saftey reg’s,engineer coming soon to fix it.”
He watched her move away and beckon him around to the front of the building,first he though very nice,long dark hair and a shapley butt.
“I can offer you a cuppa,gas still on.”
“Thanks.”
She opened the door pointed at the bench and walked into the kitchen.He placed his rucksack on Ythe floorboards and sat on the bench.
“Tea or Coffee?”
“Black coffee.”
She placed the cup in his hands as they both looked out of the doors.
“You a student?”
“No..just come to take in the place and enjoy.”
“You won’t be disapointed,returning this way or carrying on.”
“Returning back to the town,following a set map from a leaflet in the hotel,I picked up.”
Just then a rattle on the roof made them both look and the stone fell onto the boards outside.
“Weird!”..she seid.
He stood up walked forward and picked the stone up.Convinced it was the stone he threw at the raven he moved onto the clearing outside and looked up at the roof.There it was looking at him.
“Check this out.”..he beckond her forward.As he watched her come towards him he explained.
“Threw this at the bird on the roof befor you arrived and it’s still there,Im sure it’s following me!”
She looked up,nothink.No raven to view.
“It was there befor,”
A car arrived with the electric engineer and they parted company.
“see you on your way back.”
“Sure”
He walked of following the path.that would lead him through Ravens wood,it looked dense,dark without much light coming through.The path was well trodden so of into the wood he walked.City people always expexct complete silence in the countryside and are often bemused by how much noise there is.As he walked on unaware as to how many eyes viewed him,some even let them be glimpsed for a fleeting second.Ten minutes he walked befor he could see the clearing ahead of him,reaching it there was benches and tables cemented into the ground for people to rest and take inthe view.Ahead was the end of the cliffs with a wire fence running alongside it,after that was the expance of the sea and the clouds rolling in.He climbed between the bench and table,sitting he reached for the strap of his rucksack.he noticed spots of rain on the wooden bench and looked up at the sky.Thud!..went the dead hare,it’s body lying on the bench while it’s head fell limp over the side.Startled he fell backwards with the weight of his rucksack pulling him down his legs trapped between the solid bench.Looking up from the ground he stared into the dead hares eyes and then the pain from his left leg,shot up his body.
“Shit,shit.”
He pushed the rucksack to oneside and was left looking skywards with the pain.up above him the Raven circled watching his every move.

escorial
June 9th, 2013, 05:31 PM
His shouts went unheared,the rain was pouring down and he began to feel the cold inside,he tried to move but the pain was to much.The Raven stood on his chest and took flight when a black labradour came running out of the forest path.He shouted and the dog barked with him ,not long after the couple he met yesterday came to his help."My leg it's broke."..The man took his coat off and placed it over him,he then listen to the couple discuss the plan of action."you stay with him,i'll go back and call for help."The women crouched beside him and offered words of comfort while pushing the dog to one side.He wasn't sure how long befor help did arrive,every minute seemed like an hour and he was sure he was moving in and out of consiousness in all the time waiting.When he reached hospital his mind was more alert and was sure he could remeber the Raven standing on his chest.In the ward the nurse asked him if there was anyone they could contact as they were keeping him in overnite,two possibly.He explained his situation and he knew no one close by other then the man he met at Destiny Cottage in the village .She asked for any contact details and he asked the nurse to fetch him his book from his rucksack.As he thumbed through the book he wasn't sure if he was doing the right thing but his only other option was to go were,he had left everyone and everythink behined.He flicked through the book and at the back written on the back of the cover was written Destiny cottage 1845..Mr nevar..in red ink.He asked the nurse would it be possible to contact him..after a while she returned and told him she could not but he had a visitor anyway.When he viewd the old man he was amazed at first and then glad to see him.Look boy he offered, your in no state to be going anywhere so i can offer you a place to stay while you converlese.How could he refuse what other option did he have,as the old man walked and talked to the nurse he looked around and out the window the heavens were lashing it down.when he returned he explained he would be back tomorrow and pick him up,all he could do was repeat his thanks to the old man as he left and think about Destiny Cottage.When they arrived at Destiny Cottage,he watches the old man get out the car and head towards the boot.First impression was just as he expected it,sitting on it's own ,thatched roof and it probally hadn't changed much since it was built.The old man opened the door and a pair of green eyes viewed him,the black cat just sat there ans watched the two men enter the still cottage."ill put this in your room,you go sit in there and i'll bring you a cup in,what would you like?"..he hobbled into the living room and replied."black coffee."Two chairs facing a fire a small writting beauro to the left,clean and tidy but nothink hanging on the walls or picture frames placed anywhere.He put his crutches to one side and the old man handed him his cup."ive put your rucksack in the room at the end of the hall,opposite the kitchen,soon i will make you somethink to eat."..he replied."Im so grateful for all you've done."..the old man looked at him."small places like this ,news travells pretty fast and i will enjoy your company,first i must take my walk to ravens woos and on my return we will relax."He listened to the old man leave the cottage by the back and decided to get up and view his bed for the next few days at least.Even in the hallways nothink hanging on the walls,no objects anywere to offer an insight into this mans life,he pushed the door,sitting on the bed his rucksack,he hobbled in dropped his crutches on the floor and twisted himself around to sit on the bed facing the small window.Looking around the room beneath the window sitting on a table was a glass case and inside it was a Raven.He was shocked at first then looked more closley at the dead bird in the case.A small metal label on the outside of the case seid.1845.What is it he thought about this bird that keeps popping into my life.Kindly the old man made him a meal on his return, and they say infront of the fire talking."Do you live alone?"..his reply"Yes,but my cat has been with me in all that time."...tell me he carried on."were you baptised as a child."the old man stared intently"well i can't say for sure,don't know...i was orphened when my mum died in hospital and my dad..have no idea."the old man talked and the young man listened about few things of intrest to him."Well i will bid you goodnight."the young man nodded and followed minutes later to his own bedroom.He tried not to look at the dead bird behined the bed as he lay there waiting to fall asleep.Is it a raven calling,can i hear a raven...i don't know what a raven sounds like..sitting on his chest the raven turned his face so it could look in his eye..desrtiny,cottage,destiny cottage kept repeating over and over in his mind..destiny cottage..he awoke from his nightmare.a cold sweat and disorentated has he climbed from the bed..stumbled fell towards the glass case and watched it crash to the floor...The dead bird flew from the floor..he looked..looked again...out into the hall he went following the Raven out into the kitchen and watched it fly out of the open window.When he reached the window he looked out and two ravens stood on a bird table in the centre of the garden and watched him as he watched them.Whats happened the old man asked,he turned"i had a nightmare and knocked the glass case to the floor,then the bird flew from the floor and flew out the window and now there's two seated on the table outside..look"he turned and the birds were gone."there gone now"he looked over his shoulder and the old man was not there.He walked back into the hallway,"were are you"down the hall into the living room but he wasn't there,whats happening he thought when the black cat appeared from one of the chairs,looked at him and past him out into the hall and into his bedroom.He followed it and looked around the room but it was gone,disapeared just like the old man,no were to be seen.

escorial
June 9th, 2013, 11:35 PM
He pulled his rucksack from the bedroom and headed for the door,opened it and sitting at the end of the path was the black labradour that reached him first when he'd had his accident.He looked for the owners but there was no one to be seen.The dog walked to him and started pulling on the plaster ,he fell to the floor and tried to push the dog away but he felt no pain and felt his leg move inside the plaster. The dog walked away ,he released his leg from the plaster and stood amazed.Right this is a nightmare, i'm having but the sensations and feelings convinced him otherwise.The day was bright and no breeze was felt,complete silence and he watched the dog walk on and look at him.im sure it wants me to follow but im struggling to understand what is happening,surley i must go into the village befor i follow the dog to Ravens wood..he hesitated..how do i know the dog will take me to ravens woodHe followed the dog..momenterally the dog ahead would turn to view him,then walking along the farmers field a shadow appeared on the broken earth but now there were two,he looked up into the glare of the sun and brought his hand to shade him from the sunlight,up above the two ravens began to caw as they followed him to ravens wood which came into sight.The dog walked into the wood,he followed not along the path but through the undergrowth and this time there was complete silence and not one pair of eyes was there to watch him follow the black labradour.The clearing were he broke his leg could be seen,he stopped looked and sitting on the bench was the old man and the dog sitting beside him on the floor ,on the table the cat sat like the others with there backs to him.The ravens were both sitting on two seperate post looking out into the sea.Not a breeze or movement from the forest,a silence filled the air which no words can describe.He hesitated and pondered his next move..walk on or turn and run.

escorial
June 9th, 2013, 11:35 PM
The old man laughed
The dog barked
The cats eyes turned red
The Ravens cawed once more
Then there was a tapping at my door.