PDA

View Full Version : Cover Art: The Shadow of His Wings

Joe J. Calkins
May 30th, 2013, 02:50 AM
Hey gang! Here's a cover I did for Bruce Fergusson's fantasy epic, The Shadow of His Wings. Let me know what you think!

Joe J. Calkins
Cerberus Art4608

Violets
June 23rd, 2013, 09:10 AM
That's epic!!! I love the layout; everything looks crisp but combined, and it's not too crowded :) The gold/ yellow stands out really well :D

InkwellMachine
June 23rd, 2013, 09:21 PM
I think that you have skill and that it's well-rendered, but looking at the cover I'm instantly disinterested in the content. Perhaps there was nothing you could do about that because it was probably a scene the author suggested. Still, I can't count on both hands and feet how many times I've seen a ferocious dragon roaring in the night with torches beneath and lightning striking the background.

The composition screams "average fantasy" to me, which is something most readers dread while looking for a new experience.

Seeing as this post has been mostly cynical, I should re-iterate that the art is fantastic. Excellent lighting, great figures, good details, etc., etc. I only wish you'd used your skill for something a bit more engaging to look at.

Joe J. Calkins
June 24th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Thank you Violets and InkwellMachine! InkwellMachine, you are correct that the author chose the scene to be depicted on the cover.

Tyrannohotep
June 24th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Even if some other people may regard it as cliche, I love the dragon. But then I'm a sucker for big carnivorous reptiles.