PDA

View Full Version : Underside

Ethan
March 16th, 2013, 12:47 PM
It is dark here.
Secure and soft, it holds and comforts us like a mothers embrace.
We cannot go up, it is forbidden to us…they say only death greets they who dare.
We are changed.
Of this one thing, I am certain, whatever we were before ended there.
Even the elders have no memory of the change-times, only begotten stories of the light that blinded us and brought us here. There are no memory pictures in our minds, no familiar echoes of the before-times to stir longings…only the sweet scent of our dark earth now stills our fears, and comforts us in the cool eternal darkness.
We wait patiently for the next changing, some say we will become like the worms that glide through our world relentlessly, asking nothing, they come and go freely providing airways and softening the earth to ease our passing. Deeper and ever deeper we venture, for still the upside encroaches,but slower now, the older ones say it will cease one day, they say our own movements in the earth will repair the upside, I care not, it is but idle chatter that neither guides nor aids us.
We are not alone.
There are the whispering ones.
They dwell here with us, sharing this womb in the belly of mother earth.
But they are not as we are.
The older ones say we were once like them, they are fools.
In the great caverns they dwell; waiting and whispering yearning; praying for a return to upside, and despite our loathing, we are mesmerised by the sound of their words.We hear their murmurings in our sleep-time. Seeping through the soil like water, we feel their words on our skins and we lie quiet, absorbing their lies, digesting their religions.
like us, they remember nothing of the upside, neither do they know that still its fire blisters the skin and numbs the body, or how the pain it inflicts weakens the mind and tortures the flesh. They whisper zealously of later, ten thousand sleep-times from now, when it will be safe to return to upside.
It matters not, it is a but a dream, for they will all be dead soon; their voices grow fewer and fainter with each passing sleeptime.
We will be alone then, and the changes will come quicker. we eagerly await each new metamorphosis and celebrate each birth of newkind.
Better here in the security of our world, far from the burning upside, content in the tranquillity of our darkness.
Better to let the whisperers dreams die with them in their caverns, and leave us to our peace.
Here in the dark.
Here in Terreria!

Arcwood
March 16th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I fancy the style

Saiknohx
March 19th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Aside from when it repeated (it looks like it got double-copied), I love this. I agree with Arc, too. The style is great.

Fressno
March 20th, 2013, 03:21 PM
would love to see this go on, in some way. is it a beginning for buried souls to come back to life and roam the surface? or is there a world underneath?
are you gonna build more on this?
i hope so =) it sounds awesome.
almost what you would like to hear in a horror movie when the hero gets to deep into enemy territory, and the hive of dark dead souls tell their story about how the hero has nowhere to escape, give up your hope of ever coming out alive, cus you are here now, at our place, where we rule, and feel our best.
like walls of a long lost dead city talks back thru the walls of the forever lasting hallways in a crypt.

Ethan
March 21st, 2013, 08:04 PM
Thanks Guys,
sorry about the repeat bit, I still don't know how that happened...musta been the worm in my mezcal ! Fressno, I have no plan for this short, it was for a flash competition and has been taking up disk space ever since.

bazz cargo
March 22nd, 2013, 09:53 PM
Hi Ethan,
I was just randomly nosing around and found this. A curious thing indeed. Reads like the start of something big and philosophical with mythical undertones. Very cool.

Well worth the read, thank you
Bazz

Red Heron
March 24th, 2013, 03:29 AM
It's a bite sized story of the post-apocalypse! It reads like something out of Dangerous Visions. Way cool!

I love little shorts like this. They're direct and focused, so they can just be absorbed and enjoyed. Like a cookie!