PDA

View Full Version : Visualizing the Story

Freakconformist
December 18th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Even when I started writing I was drawing. Writing and drawing have always been synonymous for me. Usually, I visualize as I write, but I also tend to develop the story and/or character as I draw.

I don't have anything recent, since my printer/scanner is messed up, but I have a few things on the computer I can show just for kicks. These are some of my favorite characters I have used in various superhero type stories over the years.

I know, all women. I have a few guy characters, but they aren't as interesting or developed as the ladies.

Enjoy.

Silver, a retired super heroine turned villainess.

Guardian, the angelic super heroine. She is my "Superman" character, everybody looks up to her.

Amber, the cybernetic girl who has taken over her father's work in robotics.

Artica, is the daughter of the super heroine, Flash, who gets tired of trying to live up to her mother's standards and becomes the villain's Hench-woman.

Monarch, is a genetically altered super hero who insists that she is an exiled fairy princess.

Abbey08
December 19th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Hi. I can't draw worth a flip so I admire anyone who can :)

I assumed that your portraits were in the same order as the discussion above them. Do you know that you can space your images out, going down the page, and that you can put the related text right with its image? Really helps us put your image/text together. Just a comment; took me a while to do it myself. You can do it in an edit of your post too, so it's never too late to change it if you want. Just a suggestion, something for you to play with :)

If your second image is Guardian, she really is like Superman in that she looks simple and unassuming.

My favorite is Artica. It is the most detailed(and this from a photographer :)).

Don Standeford(forgive me Don, if I got the last name wrong)was talking in one of his posts the other day about the relationship of image/writing. His gist was using an image to spur writing. I write what I cannot photograph. You take the image/writing connection in yet another direction, creating both as you go. I think that's neat.

When you get your scanner issue sorted out, please post more.

Lorraine

Freakconformist
December 19th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Do you know that you can space your images out, going down the page, and that you can put the related text right with its image?

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm used to using [IMG] URLs, so that usually the format I use, but I wasn't sure what I could do with this system.

If your second image is Guardian, she really is like Superman in that she looks simple and unassuming.

My favorite is Artica. It is the most detailed(and this from a photographer :)).

Yeah, you had the order right. This is actually a pretty old sketch of Guardian, but it's my favorite because she has the most personality here. I actually have a hard time pinning down her personality, but she's my oldest character and I just don't want to let her go. It's nice to know that she occasionally sits on a cloud and just watches everything going on with a benevolent smile, though.

On the other end Artica has had 'tude since she was conceived. From the absentee single mother with high expectations, to the unexpected fondness that she has for the little brother she half raised, and his unfortunate choice to follow in his mother's foot steps, I have her back story mapped out like a recipe book for a sympathetic villain.

Don Standeford(forgive me Don, if I got the last name wrong)was talking in one of his posts the other day about the relationship of image/writing. His gist was using an image to spur writing. I write what I cannot photograph. You take the image/writing connection in yet another direction, creating both as you go. I think that's neat.

It is interesting how creativity spurs on itself. I forget about that when I stop writing for a long time, it's too easy to get dragged down by Facebook, the Internet, TV, and all those other things we distract ourselves with. Before you know it, it's been three weeks and you forgot where you were going to take that character.

Trilby
January 8th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Wow! Love the stockings and boots on Artica.