PDA

View Full Version : Any Military guys out there?

Lewdog
December 10th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I was just curious if there are any guys out there who are either in the military or like to write military fiction stories. I find that this is a perfect time for those type of stories because the world is going through so much change and people are being misinformed most of the time and not getting the back story or what's under the surface. What do people think would be the best subject of a current military novel.

Nemesis
December 10th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Do they have to be guys? ^^'

Lewdog
December 10th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Do they have to be guys? ^^'

Haha sorry. No it can be women too. I don't know if you read my start of a short story yet, but I was actually starting to enjoy writing that way. What military branch are you/were you in? Have you ever written and literature involving the military? First person or third person?

benluby
December 10th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Did ten plus in the Navy.

Nemesis
December 10th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Air Force, three years so far, only work in a base hospital

Lewdog
December 10th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Did ten plus in the Navy.

You would be perfect! Do you know about the USS Indianapolis? I have been thinking for a long time about writing a movie script about it. Well I did a search the other day, and Robert Downey Jr and his wife are making a movie. :(

Well I started thinking and if I could work with someone that has experience, if we got the novel done before the movie comes out, it would be a hot item! A lot of the people that watch the movie are going to want to learn more about the ship and the details of what happened. I've done some pretty good back story about the incident, and it has so many cool details that how could no one be interested in it?

benluby
December 10th, 2012, 03:56 AM
You would be perfect! Do you know about the USS Indianapolis? I have been thinking for a long time about writing a movie script about it. Well I did a search the other day, and Robert Downey Jr and his wife are making a movie. :(

Well I started thinking and if I could work with someone that has experience, if we got the novel done before the movie comes out, it would be a hot item! A lot of the people that watch the movie are going to want to learn more about the ship and the details of what happened. I've done some pretty good back story about the incident, and it has so many cool details that how could no one be interested in it?

Heh. You're jumping on a big old gorilla there, aren't you? It would be a fascinating story to write. My dad, prior to dying, was prior Navy as well, and he told me more than one story about how it was during his tenure in it.
It would really depend on how you wanted to approach the story. Multiple angles to consider. What comes to my mind is almost like an Apollo 13 type approach, as just one idea. Or one could focus on the ship itself.
Definitely be interested, but it would be a LOT of work. As well as having to alter a lot of the terminology so that those who weren't versed in the lingo could understand what was being said.

Lewdog
December 10th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Heh. You're jumping on a big old gorilla there, aren't you? It would be a fascinating story to write. My dad, prior to dying, was prior Navy as well, and he told me more than one story about how it was during his tenure in it.
It would really depend on how you wanted to approach the story. Multiple angles to consider. What comes to my mind is almost like an Apollo 13 type approach, as just one idea. Or one could focus on the ship itself.
Definitely be interested, but it would be a LOT of work. As well as having to alter a lot of the terminology so that those who weren't versed in the lingo could understand what was being said.

Actually all three of us would be good for the story, because the U.S.S. Indianapolis was carrying the Fat Boy atomic bomb. Downey Jr. is approaching it through the eyes of the eleven year old boy that helped to get stuff from Admiral's jacket taken out, but the Court Martial was not. There has never been a Court Marshal overturned in the history of the U.S. military. I was thinking about doing it with a character that works on the bridge near the Admiral. We would follow him from a week before he leaves home where his pregnant wife is (or she could tell him after he is gone she is pregnant) through the whole ordeal including the 3 days in the water with sharks. I think this would be an absolute gold mine. Your thoughts and ideas?

benluby
December 10th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Actually all three of us would be good for the story, because the U.S.S. Indianapolis was carrying the Fat Boy atomic bomb. Downey Jr. is approaching it through the eyes of the eleven year old boy that helped to get stuff from Admiral's jacket taken out, but the Court Martial was not. There has never been a Court Marshal overturned in the history of the U.S. military. I was thinking about doing it with a character that works on the bridge near the Admiral. We would follow him from a week before he leaves home where his pregnant wife is (or she could tell him after he is gone she is pregnant) through the whole ordeal including the 3 days in the water with sharks. I think this would be an absolute gold mine. Your thoughts and ideas?

First, Air Force doesn't fly off carriers. Navy pilots do. Minor point, but critical for authenticity. The wife would have to tell the husband prior to the ship departing, as they weren't getting any mail, since their entire journey was classified.
It would be a very key, and good, point. I would probably want to try a two character approach. The old, salty Chief Navigator, and the young, bright eyed Seaman. Now, parts would almost have to be written in a Tom Clancyish style, due to having to explain what the effects were of certain fuels/explosives and materials during the attacks, but I really think that this is a story which would pretty much lend itself to telling itself, since we already know the start, journey, and finishing point of it.
The other approach would be from the Court Martial itself, with each witness telling their tale of what happened. While I think that would work brilliantly in a movie style, for what we're discussing, I'd have to say it would work much better as we're discussing, through the eyes of the young and old enlisted sailor. Just enough information to know what is going on, but not enough information to fully comprehend it.