PDA

View Full Version : A little help, if you please.

Save.Face.
December 6th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I stumbled on poetry at a yard sale. I've never been one to read poetry in the Shakespearean style because of the language and idioms used, when I was young it was just out of grasp. I found a reprint for a quarter, called 'The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner' and must have reread it a dozen times. The story got me, from the outset, and I haven't been able to find any other poetic works with a darker storyline. (The divine comedy notwithstanding)
Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginner looking for more?

Cran
December 7th, 2012, 09:34 PM
There are some Secondhand Bookstores that stock collected works;
some have accumulated enough to justify a [Poetry] section on the shelves.

But you can't beat a good old fashioned Library as a starting point. Make a list of the best books you find there, then search the net or the various charity shops and secondhand bookshops. Most libraries have occasional book sales* to clear space for new books.

*Larger city libraries even have a full time shop for this.

Save.Face.
December 8th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the advice Cran, though I mean any title suggestions for darker storylines. I enjoy the more sinister plots but finding poetry hat tots this description has been a chore.

Lewdog
December 8th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the advice Cran, though I mean any title suggestions for darker storylines. I enjoy the more sinister plots but finding poetry hat tots this description has been a chore.

When you say darker story lines do you mean the dark side of human nature, or dark super natural type? The movie, "Fight Club" could be the darker side of a human, where "Interview with a Vampire" would be a super naturally version of a darker style.

Some Stephen King books bring out both. "Misery" would be viewed as a good darker side of a human book.

When it comes to poems, Poe writes some very good dark prose. I'm sure if I looked harder on the net I would find some more of these.

Here is a $2.99 digital download for a book made up of only dark side poems:

From The Dark Side : A collection of poems from the darker side of the soul.: J Bailey: Amazon.com: Kindle Store (http://www.amazon.com/From-The-Dark-Side-ebook/dp/B006XWGG02)

lasm
December 8th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Robert Browning's The Ring and the Book is a long (novel-length) narrative poem on the subject of an Italian murder case. I enjoyed it a lot and it seems like it might fit your description.