PDA

View Full Version : editing .mobi toc

smallmarkbooks
December 4th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Looking for help on editing the .mobi format TOC. I've found a number of methods of doing this but nothing I have seen I have been able to make work. ](*,)

Does anyone have any experience in this area? I use Word 2010 and Calibre.
Thanks in advance.

http://www.smallmarkbooks.yolasite.com

L.K.Scott
December 4th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I have plenty of experience. .MOBI files can be very tricky. I find my strategy is to convert any .MOBI files into a editable .PDF document or, even better-- a .DOCX.

Be sure to use the Page Breaks feature at the end of every chapter and keep in mind, while editing, that the tab key is different than paragraph indentation.

Kindle programs double space everything so keep your document at a standard, normal spacing. Kindle will double space it for you.

Imbed images--don't copy and paste. Some devices will distort the image if you don't imbed them first.

Any specific troubles or questions, feel free to hit me up. I've converted all of my published novels into kindle without my publisher's help. That way I have more control on how it looks.

smallmarkbooks
December 4th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Agreed on the single space, tab, and indenting. I learned that bit some time ago.
How do you convert to docx once in the mobi format? Do I just rename the extension?

<edit>
My books show up on the kindle with a TOC of only beginning, middle, and end, and not with a full useable TOC (the book has an internal toc with hyperlinks)