PDA

View Full Version : Gilgamesh, part 1

Edward Picot
December 2nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
http://edwardpicot.com/gilgamesh/part01title.jpg

A puppet-animation based (loosely) on the Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh, and made entirely with open-source software, except for a short animated section at the end which was made with Flash MX.

In this episode, Gilgamesh incautiously boasts that he can beat anybody in a fight - even his patroness, the Goddess Aruru. When Aruru herself hears of his boast, she decides to send a new hero to challenge him. Episode 1 of 10.

You can see it on YouTube, on Vimeo, or (if you've got one of the newer browsers) on my website. Please visit.

- Edward Picot

dolphinlee
January 27th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I had a small problem at the start. The Gilgamesh doll freaked me out. It took me about a minute to get used to it. After that I loved it.

I think the first part of this is just a little long. The second part was perfect.

I thought the dialogue was excellent.

As soon as I finish this I am off to Part 2.

vangoghsear
January 27th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Compensating for something...HA! Funny stuff.

Edward Picot
January 27th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks for looking! The feedback is much appreciated. Part 4 is about to go online, probably tomorrow.

Peter Dyr
March 28th, 2013, 06:35 AM
http://edwardpicot.com/gilgamesh/part01title.jpg

A puppet-animation based (loosely) on the Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh, and made entirely with open-source software, except for a short animated section at the end which was made with Flash MX.

In this episode, Gilgamesh incautiously boasts that he can beat anybody in a fight - even his patroness, the Goddess Aruru. When Aruru herself hears of his boast, she decides to send a new hero to challenge him. Episode 1 of 10.

You can see it on YouTube, on Vimeo, or (if you've got one of the newer browsers) on my website. Please visit.

- Edward Picot

Hi Edward, I was wondering if you included Siduri's advice into your puppet animation? I am a big fan of her advice to Gilgamesh, but it was stripped out of the later Akkadian versions of the Epic of Gilgamesh, and if you used one of these later texts as your source I suspect her carpe diem advice will be missing.

Edward Picot
March 28th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Hi Edward, I was wondering if you included Siduri's advice into your puppet animation? I am a big fan of her advice to Gilgamesh, but it was stripped out of the later Akkadian versions of the Epic of Gilgamesh, and if you used one of these later texts as your source I suspect her carpe diem advice will be missing.

Peter - interesting question! No, this is a loose adaptation, and Siduri doesn't appear in my version. Samhat the Harlot reappears and takes Siduri's place in the latter part of the story, advising Gilgamesh against continuing with his quest - but in a much less poetic way.