PDA

View Full Version : A cover for my folk project. Any suggestions?

Namba
September 26th, 2012, 08:30 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/338479_505144409495978_2029601095_o.jpgI finished doing this today for a music project I'm working on, though I may not stick with the album name. Anything I should add or take away? Any advice is greatly appreciated (I'm also relatively new to photoshop :P)

Nemesis
September 26th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Personally i think that background is wicked neat ^^

Namba
September 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Thank you! :P I was quite happy with it myself.

Cran
September 26th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Should I be picking up suggestions that the album has Latin American, Caribbean and African influences?

Namba
September 26th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Should I be picking up suggestions that the album has Latin American, Caribbean and African influences?

Not really, I just wanted to do something that looked cool to be completely honest. I have the original photograph if you're interested in seeing it, because the figure I used was crafted in that fashion.

Cran
September 26th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Well, it looks cool enough; as a package, though,
those are the influences that come through to me.
I'd pick it up thinking world music
rather than the broader folk music.

Namba
September 27th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Well, it looks cool enough; as a package, though,
those are the influences that come through to me.
I'd pick it up thinking world music
rather than the broader folk music.
Yeah, I've had several instances where the album cover was misleading. I'm hoping it'll be more the mood that it's trying to portray and not really the genre, though.

Also, I edited the cover art a bit. Fixed the font and I'm hoping ya'll will agree it's much better.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/266715_505269502816802_43924939_o.jpg

Cran
September 27th, 2012, 09:20 AM
The new version certainly brings the image forward; the text is almost lost.
Perhaps a bit more contrast in the text colour?

It's the colours and patterns in the image that suggest the cultures, as much as your name.
The colours in the eye, for instance, are popular Caribbean and African, and the design leans to African.
The colours around the nostril are likewise tropical Latin American and Caribbean.
The background hints of the darker side of the Caribbean; voodoo.

HKayG
September 27th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Agreed - the colour definetely has to be different. Otherwise it blends to much into the background.

Looks good though - I love the wild design :)

vangoghsear
September 27th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I pretty much agree with Cran, I thought world music when I saw the design, which I love the background image barring the whole world music thing.

The background is busy with the swirling color, so the letter gets lost. To bring out the lettering, you could put a lighter color box or a translucent screen box behind it. Or a dark screen behind it and switch to lighter lettering.

Isis
September 27th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I like the riot of colors in this - it makes me think of Carnival in Central America. I especially like the way the animal seems to be outlined in neon lights, like it's a big 3D living sign. I also agree about the letters, and I think you might want to try something that even seems "too simple" - a plain, bold, white font. I don't think it will take away from the energy of the image, and it will be way more legible. Often complicated or ornate fonts on top of images with a lot going on look busy, even if the color is contrasting or neutral.

Namba
September 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n635/LutiKriss/nambastrikesback.jpg

Well, I did an update. Had I seen your post sooner I probably would have gone with your advice, Isis, because if this doesn't work then it doesn't seem like too bad an idea. Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Cran
September 27th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I prefer the last - simple and clear to read.

The problem with white text against very dark colours and patterns is that
the white usually appears as dead and slightly dirty.
It's something to do with how our minds interpret what our eyes see -
optical illusion studies, and one of the fundamentals of the printing trade.