PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia Book Creator

cullmeyer
September 21st, 2012, 06:51 PM
I have recently discovered that Wikipedia has a feature that allows a person to compile a collection of articles into a "book." I know that some people have their qualms about the site's reliability or accuracy, but I do find myself frequenting the site for story research. The Book Creator feature allows one to compile articles into a PDF, EPUB, or even order a printed and bound copy of the articles. You can also rearrange articles, create chapters, and it will also suggest other pages related to the general contents of the articles that you have selected. It converts the Wikipedia web article into a textbook style layout, complete with any pictures, graphs, and lists of citations and references. It even creates a table of contents, complete with page numbers and everything. I find that it could turn out to be very useful for offline research.

Does anybody else use this? Or would you find this to be useful?

Comrade Yuri
October 3rd, 2012, 07:02 PM
Sounds like a great idea!

While I don't recommend using wiki articles as a primary source of information, it is useful in tracking down previously unknown works, via reading the article citations. Lots of good stuff in the citations (the supporting data and links, including book and article titles, found in the reference portion of the pages).

I can see using the utility you mentioned for the creation of personal reference material. Not stuff I'd sell, but a collected works of data I'd like to keep on hand.

Thanks for passing this on!

Yuri.

cullmeyer
October 3rd, 2012, 07:56 PM
Yep, definitely just for research. So far I've compiled three "books," ranging from the universe and phenomenons therein, to human anatomy and psychological disorders.

PenMan
October 10th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Wow I did not know that thank you for the info I love Wikipedia and so far I have not come across really any false info in the years I have used it

patskywriter
October 10th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Now, that's some useful info. Thanks! :smile2:

danicastone
December 27th, 2012, 12:58 AM
I've actually seen a lot of these "books" being sold - or attempting to be sold - on Amazon. It's weird. The few that have reviews tend to have pretty cranky and doubtful-sounding reviews! I can just see some spam website out there trying to convince people to pay $99 -- no, $49 -- no, Just $27!! to learn how to make millions selling their wikipedia books.

Whisper
December 27th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Thank you. I'm always doing research and Wiki is usually 'always' my first goto website. Just before I saw this I was looking at the Zulu War writeup. I used it extensively when I was a reporter and getting my BA degree in history. I'm going to have to check out this new feature.

I think Wiki gets a bad rap. The great thing about Wiki is not only does it give you a usually great overview of the subject, but it also gives many resources, citations and external websites at the bottom. While reserching various areas of the Civil War I once found the 1860 Democratic and Republican National Convention pamplet just by clicking on a link.

While you may not be able to cite wiki as a source, you can go to the references and usually cite them.

chipmonkrocks
December 27th, 2012, 11:28 PM
i take classes on coursera.org. The astronomy course uses a wikibook based on this and it is phenomenal.