PDA

View Full Version : Let me share some of my art with you

tepelus
September 20th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Actually, I'm just going to post one pencil drawing and post a link to my DeviantArt gallery (http://tepelus.deviantart.com/gallery/) because it's easier that way, and though mostly what I have posted are flower photographs, I do have some other art on there, including this one:

This is a photograph of a drawing I did of the main character of my novel, Vlad, in a scene where he's reuniting with his son, Ladislas, after having been away for a year to war. It is the last drawing I've done, and that was months ago. The drawing bug just doesn't bite me like it used to when I was a teen. I used to draw a lot, but after high school (many, oh so many moons ago) I pretty much only pick up the pencil once in a blue moon.

Cran
September 21st, 2012, 04:18 AM
Fantastic work on the characters, tepelus -
you have a good eye and great hand for drawing people.

Some good touches in the textures, but the perspective and depth is a little off
inside (the floor and the door), better outside (through the window).

I feel for the horse who cops those spurs.

tepelus
September 21st, 2012, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I knew the perspective was off on the floor and door, which bothers me, and yeah, I did make the spurs a wee bit on the sharp side. lol! Thanks for taking a look and for the compliments.

Isis
September 22nd, 2012, 01:25 AM
I love the different textures - that's one of the things I love most about looking at great pencil drawings, and also what I find most difficult about developing my own drawings (texture is way easier in oil paint, which is a boon for my laziness). I like how the wall, the clothing, the scene outside, the door all seem to be made from real, rough materials, each with its own weight. The figures seem slightly elongated and flattened, but that reminds me a lot of art and sculpture from the 13th and 14th centuries in France and Italy - the kinds of figures you'd see in cathedrals, but less exaggerated; and the slight hint of that style seems right for the world or time period that you're depicting here.

It seems like the son is screwing up his eyes, which feels really right for this scene - it's a subtle detail, but it makes it work.

I took a quick look at your deviantart, and really like the portrait and the figure drawing on the first page of the gallery.

Kyle R
September 22nd, 2012, 09:06 AM
The level of detail is astounding. Every single lock of hair is different from the rest. The shading on the wrinkles is expertly done. The fuzziness of the father's robe sleeve is drawn down to the very last fluff strand. You even went as far as creating individual waves and spirals in the grain of the wood.

You're a real meticulous crafter, and your art definately benefits from it. I like the scene, too. It tells the story on its own, no explanation needed.

Great drawing. I'm very impressed. Draw on, Tepelus, you artist, you! :encouragement: