PDA

View Full Version : Home-made covers [Disclaimer] includes depictions of Indigenous Australians.

Cran
September 18th, 2012, 12:22 PM
DISCLAIMER: The image includes depictions of Indigenous Australian performers;
no offense or distress is intended to these performers or their families.

During an off-the-boards conversation, I mentioned my largest solo non-fiction work - a 200+ page reference book for a non-government organisation - and that I also produced the cover artwork for it as compensation for the "as dry as" content.

The book was titled:
HELP WANTED
for Indigenous Western Australians:
A Directory of Funding and Programs for the Vocational Education,
Training and Employment of Indigenous Western Australians
in the Wheatbelt Region
By Cran Herlihy for Directions(WA), October 2007

(easy to see why it needed something else, isn't it?)

The cover image is a blend of three photographs I'd taken;
the main one at the 1997 Fairbridge Folk Festival.

Tiamat
September 18th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Wow, Cran. That's very nice. I love the colors and the way everything in those photographs works when combined like that. Very beautiful.

Cran
September 19th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Thank you, Tiamat. The colours are those of the Indigenous Australian flag (http://www.naidoc.org.au/celebrating-naidoc-week/indigenous-australian-flags/)(black, red, yellow),
although inverted in the cover image, representing the historical international sign of distress.

Cran
September 21st, 2012, 06:23 AM
In a previous life, or many moons ago, Dunluchyn and I were part of a community radio station - it was her second, my first - and one of the programs she devised and hosted featured original and traditional folk music. I suggested she call it Get Folked!, but Dunluchyn in her wisdom decided not to, and let me off with a warning.

Undeterred, I put together three compilation albums of newly released modern folk songs that we both liked, and the Get Folked! series was born. Two of the covers were photographs from the Fairbridge Festival days.

The first was titled Get Folked! In Lonely Places and featured songs of travel and distant lands.

Cran
September 21st, 2012, 06:33 AM
Not sure why the images are set on clipboards; don't think I did anything differently.

The second album was titled: Get Folked! Time and Again

<that's better>

These old sheds were on a side road. I was looking for an "old magazine" effect for this image.

Dunluchyn
September 23rd, 2012, 03:49 AM
Where's the one that featured my boots? You do manage some excellent work

Namba
September 23rd, 2012, 04:32 AM
That's genius. Excellent work, man.

Cran
September 23rd, 2012, 02:12 PM
Where's the one that featured my boots? You do manage some excellent workThat, my dear Dunluchyn, was for the second series - The Supper Club - and due to be posted very soon. It's still one of my favourite screensavers.

Thank you, Namba.

Cran
September 25th, 2012, 05:59 PM
One of my radio programs was The Supper Club, a late night, laid back mix of original music and my favourite memories from the seventies to the nineties, with occasional forays either side of that range. The theme song was JJ Cale's After Midnight. It was, as another station said of itself, music to fortify the over-forties.

As with the Get Folked! compilation series, I prepared some compilations for The Supper Club, but the only ones which used my own artwork on the covers were

The Supper Club: Late and Live,
The cover features African performance artist Sheela Langebur.

and an all-female artists collection called The Supper Club: Girls' Nite Out.

The cover features Dunluchyn's Doc Martins and lipstick.

Cran
September 28th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Unfortunately, I cannot share the cover art
from the instrumental compilation album -

The Supper Club: Savage Breasts*

*charms for the soothing of

- because the original artwork wasn't mine.

To make up for this tragedy, I offer a different sort of cover.
The little garden shed of Dunluchyn (the place, and the WF member)
needed painting.