PDA

View Full Version : September Newsletter

Baron
September 17th, 2012, 11:30 PM
The September newsletter is now available for download. With this announcement comes some sad news - garza, who has faithfully produced each issue for the last two years, will be stepping down. I take this opportunity to thank him for all the hard work he's put in and the interest his efforts have generated in the site.

As one door closes another opens and, after discussion with Sam and Gunby, it's been decided that the way ahead is to merge the newsletter with Motley. This means we will be abandoning the pdf format and taking advantage of the mobile responsive qualities of the Motley Press site. This also means that Motley will become a monthly publication from October onward and I hope the regular contributors to the newsletter will be happy to see their contributions published there.

The September newsletter can be downloaded at:

September Newsletter (http://www.writingforums.com/newsletter/28.pdf)

Sam
September 18th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I want to take the opportunity to thank Garza for working tirelessly to provide us with an outstanding newsletter every month. He has done wonders with them, each edition better than its predecessor. He's earned his rest, but I'll still be sad to see him go.

Thank you, Ricardo. Go raibh maith agat.

Potty
September 18th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Shock horror! Garza, your contributiuon wil not go un-noticed. When motley becomes the biggest thing since the news of the world... well, you did a good job.

Gumby
September 18th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Thank you, garza, for all your hard work and dedication to the newsletter. Your efforts have made it an outstanding part of this site and it will be missed.

garza
September 18th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Editing the Newsletter has been fun, but it's time for a change. I appreciate all the kind comments, but please don't make it sound like I've died. I'll still be here.

Sam -Agus ghabháil leat as do chabhair.

Cran
September 18th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Enjoy retirement, garza.

Drop into the Motley Press office anytime you miss the sound of clacking typewriters,
and the scent of deadline sweat.

garza
September 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Cran - You make Motley sound like the Daily Herald when I was a kid. Now if you could only have Mr Wilkes yell at me about trying to write fancy...

Cran
September 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM
There's nothing that comes even remotely close these days, is there?

Mr Wilkes will not be available, I'm sorry, but the tea lady is able to channel some of the more colourful editors of times past, at least after opening time.

garza
September 18th, 2012, 02:09 PM
In those days every town had its newspaper. Any kid with a notepad, pencil, and the ability to write a decent account of a church social or garden club flower show could break into print. It was the first rung up the ladder to a writing career. That first rung, indeed, that entire ladder is gone today. Is there a place today for a kid to hang out and learn the craft of writing from the best of all possible teachers - the working professionals who faced daily deadlines?

Even the tea lady can't bring all that back.

TheFuhrer02
September 18th, 2012, 06:12 PM
*Gasp* Oh no, say it isn't so!!

Seriously and sincerely now: garza, all my respects to you for doing a very great job this past two years with the newsletter.

Terry D
September 18th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Thank you for your efforts, Garza.

bazz cargo
September 19th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Was it something I said?

At long last I have something for the editor of the newsletter to reject, and the £$%&*@ has gone. grrrr!

The only place I have ever been published is now a footnote in history. I'm feeling the need to get maudlin drunk. Garza old bean, how about a farewell to the newsletter bash in the chatroom?

Cran
September 19th, 2012, 10:34 PM
In those days every town had its newspaper. Any kid with a notepad, pencil, and the ability to write a decent account of a church social or garden club flower show could break into print. It was the first rung up the ladder to a writing career. That first rung, indeed, that entire ladder is gone today. Is there a place today for a kid to hang out and learn the craft of writing from the best of all possible teachers - the working professionals who faced daily deadlines?Sadly, it would appear not.

Even the tea lady can't bring all that back.
No, but if she likes you, she can spike your cuppa with the good stuff.

garza
September 20th, 2012, 02:14 AM
bazz - Next you'll be claiming a conspiracy. Sorry.

Cran - Single malt? I hope? Irish or Scotch will do, but if it's Scotch, don't tell Sam.

Cran
September 20th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Sam doesn't need to know.

I believe the Glen is 12 years old.

Kevin
September 20th, 2012, 03:26 AM
A Wee Deoch And Doris - YouTube (http://youtu.be/x9_IjTh8nmU)

garza
September 20th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Y'know my problem is the Owl Droppings will start piling up, now I've no place to put them.

Cran
September 20th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Hmm ...
maybe Rob could convert the broom cupboard at Motley Press,
put your name on the door, and a suitable title ...

Associate Editor for Owl Droppings ...

bazz cargo
September 21st, 2012, 08:13 PM
@ Garza. What are you sorry for and was there a conspiracy?