PDA

View Full Version : Help for writing realistic injuries

Evil Jennius
July 21st, 2012, 11:21 PM
I found this webpage:-

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~leiafee/ramblings/realistic_injuries.htm (http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/%7Eleiafee/ramblings/realistic_injuries.htm)

I thought some might find it useful.

It has information on broken bones, blood loss, shock, minor injuries, burns, etc. and how people may react to them.

I'm not affiliated with the site in anyway

Evil Jennius

Angelwing
February 28th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Very nice.

I know from experience about shock. When I was young, I accidentally nicked my knee with a machete while playfully hacking at a wood pile. It was a pretty minor "wound," but my young mind overplayed it, and so physiologically I became kind of faint, thoughts racing through my mind about how serious it could have been. Imagine if someone is seriously injured, they're going to be thinking "Oh God, that just happened, it's real, the blood is real, what do I do, someone help me, I feel faint..."

Looking back on it, hacking up that wood pile was so worth it :)

Hemlock
February 28th, 2013, 05:22 AM
That's a pretty good resource for those who often write crime and suspense stories.

Rustgold
March 1st, 2013, 08:00 AM
Mind you, when I was younger, I had several 'nice' into the hospital cuts, and I 'under-reacted'; I'm such a wimp in comparison these days (ok, I might just be a wimp these days).
Good general guide though.

Whisper
March 1st, 2013, 02:06 PM
Thank you for this. If I prayed, I'd mention you in them tonight.

Panthera Onca
April 19th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Thank you for this site, I think I'll find it useful. The concussion part also explained people kept waking me up when I stayed in the hospital after a car wreck.

DPVP
April 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM
its often the patients reaction that are the most interesting.
one thing to add that i did not see them touch is that if a PT is burned or losses blood then they are in more danger from the cold. so the EMT might be in t shirts but we have the heat blasting, legs elevated and blankets on the PT
also the other huge danger with head injuries is damage to the spine. hence why we do C spine immobilization and backboard head injuries

jayelle_cochran
April 25th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Thank you so much for this! I'm currently writing the first novel in a series and during that series there's a war/revolution happening. Even though there's minimal fighting in the first novel, there are still injuries. And I'm sure there will be more later on. Knowing more about what happens in the body when someone is hurt or sick will be very very useful. Thank you again!

*hugs*
Jayelle