PDA

View Full Version : How to say nothing in five hundred words. Or How I learned to love my editor

jeffrey c mcmahan
May 15th, 2012, 10:43 PM
The common allusion that appropriate rhetoric requires that something needs--and is important--to be said; is generally considered to be the acceptable and appurtenant relegation of the English conventions of our times. On the whole of it, I would subscribe to the views that pertains to the concept of nonsense. If an individual desires to immortalize their; thoughts, feelings, dreams, into a collection of mutually inclusive symbolic representations of their experience; I feel that they should be able to do so without having to be subjected to others waiting to criticize their every word. Like the famous predators of the jungle, stalking their prey, waiting to pounce on the word processors and printers of our times. When will it all stop, this trivial needless worry over how others choose to express themselves. I say let them write, let's not discourage our adolescent writers; by correcting their every comma, let's participate in their participles, dangle with delight over their modifiers, subjecting ourselves to their subordinating conjunctions, wallow in their wordiness. Yeah man!

From the mind of mcmahan

Potty
May 15th, 2012, 10:58 PM
personally I wouldn't get anywhere if I didn't have people pull my work apart. I respect what you're saying, but I never would have got published without the help of others.

jeffrey c mcmahan
May 15th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Potty;

Thanks for the read and comments. I do understand and agree with you. The main attraction of this forum for me is that I can present my work, and get feedback from others. I do learn from feedback. I have learned more by reviewing and presenting critical comments for others. My biggest issue is that it seems to me that if I don't make the changes, or question, or assert that the feedback was erroneous, I seem to get labeled as being not open to criticism. Which is false; I have edited my work at the feedback of others. But when one criticizes, yet does not answer or explain why they think it should be some other way, I get critical of them. Works both ways, does it not, if not, then it should.

Thank you for the read and comments

regards

jeffrey

TBK
May 18th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I think criticisms should be explained, too. I like to know the reasons behind the rules. I think it's important for people to have their questions answered, because it more effectively teaches both parties in the questioner-answerer relationship.

When somebody takes their time to review another person's work, though, some politeness should be dealt on them. There are less harsh ways of asking for an explanation for changes/edits.

Example one: "Do you mind showing me references on this rule, so I can study it?"

Example two: "Could you please explain that? I don't think I understand why these changes should take place."

People easily misinterpret tone and intention over the internet, because it's text. We can't see facial expressions or body language. It's best to play it safe.