PDA

View Full Version : Finding a beta

lebrbria
May 3rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to discuss this, but I'm looking for tips on finding a good betareader. I am currently working on a young adult novel and looking for someone who enjoys the genre with supernatural elements (in this case, superpowers- think Heroes). I'm looking for someone (or a couple people) who has experience with grammar, punctuation, and spelling, as well as being able to give honest opinions on storylines and characters. So...any tips on how to go about finding an honest, trustworthy, experienced beta?

Elvenswordsman
May 3rd, 2012, 05:09 PM
"who has" - who have.

Go read up about copyright. Anyone is trustworthy as long as you know your ownership of documents.

lebrbria
May 3rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the correction ;)

I've read up on copyright already. That was actually one of the first things I did with writing. :)

Jeko
May 3rd, 2012, 05:13 PM
Right here.

I'm currently writing surreal fantasy/horror, and am a fan of sci-fi, all sorts of fantasy and anything else that captures my interest. I am also quite subceptible to good YA fiction., nad know what ticks my boxes.

I'm also Christian, so you can trust me!

lebrbria
May 3rd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Haha, that's good to know. I currently have just under 63,000 words, so I'm still working on it. But here is a description:

Cara Wallace knows she's not like other seventeen year olds. And she has taken care over the years to remain isolated from others in an attempt to keep her secret hidden. But when she meets Jaycen Towle and witnesses the existence of the Order, a society bound by secrecy to protect those who are gifted, her anti-social tendencies may not be enough to protect her. And while Cara and Jaycen are bonded by this discovery in an effort to keep her safe, they live in a hidden world surrounded by secrets that could make or break them.

Jeko
May 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
Lovely synopsis, enhanced even more by the vague concepts presented and the scope for a brilliant tale. I would love to read it!

I just hit 5,000 words myself (exactly!), and that's only a weeks worth of writing and typing up and planning. I'm on a roll! Woop!

lebrbria
May 3rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
That's awesome! I've been working on this piece (currently titled Revealed as opposed to its previous Untitled 5) for about a year now. I'm a stay-at-home mom, though, so I work on it whenever my two children allow me to.

josh.townley
May 4th, 2012, 06:53 AM
I like your synopsis. Sounds interesting. If I could make a suggestion, though... you might want to make the element of danger a bit clearer. If the Order is there to protect her and people like her, what is she afraid of?

Good luck with your story! :)

Kyle R
May 4th, 2012, 07:04 AM
I'm also Christian, so you can trust me!

Lol Cadence. Shameless. :D

"I could give you my word as a Spaniard," Inigo said.

"No good," the man in black replied. "I've known too many Spaniards."

Gamer_2k4
May 4th, 2012, 07:19 AM
"who has" - who have.

Actually, "someone" is singular, so it gets the singular verb "has." The parenthetical part doesn't count toward the plurality.

Trilby
May 4th, 2012, 07:50 AM
"who has" - who have.

Anyone is trustworthy as long as you know your ownership of documents.

Anyone?

Knowing that you own copyright is one thing, being able to prove that (should you need to) is another thing entirely.

lebrbria
May 4th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I like your synopsis. Sounds interesting. If I could make a suggestion, though... you might want to make the element of danger a bit clearer. If the Order is there to protect her and people like her, what is she afraid of?

Good luck with your story! :)

Thanks for the input! I'm not sure it was clear enough in the synopsis, but Cara's secret is not shared with the discovery of the Order. ;)

Actually, "someone" is singular, so it gets the singular verb "has." The parenthetical part doesn't count toward the plurality.

I was actually thinking about this while laying awake at midnight last night. :)

Anyone?

Knowing that you own copyright is one thing, being able to prove that (should you need to) is another thing entirely.

That's the tough part there. While copyright is embedded in the creation of a work in physical form, you can't really do much in the way of punitive damages unless your copyright is registered, which can happen after your work is completed. Or at least that's my understanding. I have a method to my madness when it comes to proof.

Tiamat
May 5th, 2012, 02:49 AM
I'm always willing to beta read. :) I'm working on a YA fantasy novel myself. I'm pretty familiar with the market, and I'm not afraid to be a harsh critic.

Plus, I'm an atheist--but still a remarkably good person--so you can trust me! (Sorry, Cadence, couldn't resist. :P)

lebrbria
May 5th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I'm always willing to beta read. :) I'm working on a YA fantasy novel myself. I'm pretty familiar with the market, and I'm not afraid to be a harsh critic.

Plus, I'm an atheist--but still a remarkably good person--so you can trust me! (Sorry, Cadence, couldn't resist. :P)

Awesome :) Harsh is OK with me ;) PM me your email address and I can add you to the view list.