PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Fantasy

Lilly Davidson
April 24th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I found such a great book at an Oxfam shop yesterday, cost me only 1.49 and it is called 'The Mammoth Book of Extreme Fantasy' (published 2008 by Robinson, edited by Mike Ashley). The is the genre I like best! Total freedom for absolutely anything to happen, freer even than science fiction. God I would like to write stories like these.

I have only read the first one so far, called 'Senator Bilbo'. It is set many generations on in The shire, of Lord of the Rings fame and is about the politics going on and racism. The author got the idea from the real life Senator Theodore Bilbo who served from 1935-1947 in the US Senate and who was proud of being a racist and member of the Ku Klux Klan. This short story is marvellous and just shows how an idea can be taken, transplanted into an already fictional world land and thus transformed into a great short story or even novel.

The stories in this anthology will get more and more powerful and I cannot wait to read them all.

Has anyone read this book or similar?

Elvenswordsman
April 24th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I'm wondering if this is you marketing? If so, quite obvious. If not... Huh? Also, as for a book like this, why not read some of the intros to fantasy that they use in university settings?

Lilly Davidson
April 24th, 2012, 02:24 PM
It's just a book which inspires ideas for writing. That is all, I am not marketing anything.

Elvenswordsman
April 24th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I've got here An Introduction to Fiction, 6th Edition. It's a decent compilation of fiction, although not just fantasy. I find that the university edition books tend to gather together some of the well-written pieces, so they'll be more beneficial to writing form and function.

Lilly Davidson
April 24th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Hi
Please give me more detail, I don't know which book exactly you mean. Would you give me the title, author and publisher so that I may look it up on Amazon. It sounds very good.

Elvenswordsman
April 24th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Mine specifically is written by X.J. Kennedy and Dana Gioia, but chances are this is an American novel (I'm in Canada, jsyk).

Lilly Davidson
April 24th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Ok, thanks very much.