PDA

View Full Version : Ipad vs laptop

LMThomas
April 22nd, 2012, 11:32 PM
Hi, everyone. My laptop recently stopped working and I was considering buying an ipad to do my writing instead. Has anyone used an ipad to write a large work with? I'm worried I won't be able to type on it fast enough.

Skodt
April 22nd, 2012, 11:42 PM
Seems like my thoughts would race faster then my words. A keyboard is much easier to write with. I have a Ipad and it's not for writting long works. Although you can actually find keyboards for Ipads now I do believe.

helium
April 23rd, 2012, 01:41 AM
What about using pencil and paper? Would be much cheaper.

Kyle R
April 23rd, 2012, 01:51 AM
What about using pencil and paper? Would be much cheaper.

This really made me laugh. It's so simple, and yet, so brilliant at the same time.

Skodt
April 23rd, 2012, 02:29 AM
Makes my hand cramp just reading pencil and paper.

JosephB
April 23rd, 2012, 02:47 AM
I have an iPad for work -- we design apps for some of our clients -- but I can't use it to write for any length of time. You can buy a decent laptop these days for less -- at least one that would be sufficient for writing. I'd go with that.

johnbaxter
April 23rd, 2012, 02:48 AM
I've done a lot of writing on my iPad, but I'm also a slow typer. I did use an Apple wireless keyboard for a while, and that worked great. But, I no longer have the keyboard (my son has it). There are other keyboards available besides Apple that get good reviews. Google for them. If I didn't also have a laptop, I would have no problem using a keyboard with my iPad to write. If you can afford it, maybe go to an Apple store or online, and get a keyboard. If it doesn't work out, you can still use the keyboard for shorter pieces, or return it if it's within their return range policy.

Silvers
April 23rd, 2012, 06:46 AM
They make keyboards that roll up now. Full size ones. I don't know if any have been adapted for Ipad but if that is the case I would look into it. Laptop + carrying case is my way of it though.

Bloggsworth
April 23rd, 2012, 09:38 AM
A few problems with the iPad:

1) Price - They are stupidly expensive when compared with a similarly priced laptop. My Lenovo has a 15" screen, i3 x 2.2 Ghz processor, 750Gb HD, 1Gb graphics card & 8 Gb Ram - Cost 379, a lot less than the cheapest iPad.

2) Apple keep control of your iPad - You can't load any application they don't approve of - Not a really big deal as far as Apps go, but ask yourself, how do they know?

3) Organising your files as a writer, the iPad won't, you have to buy/find an App to do simple filing, like have individual folders for individual projects; so basic it can only be some kind of arrogance on the part of Apple to think that people don't need to organise their folders.

4) Printing - You can only print via? The cloud, 3rd parties, who knows, but what you can't do is print to your home printer directly from A to B wirelessly or over your network, one reason being:

5) There is no USB port, so you have to buy an iPad/USB adaptor, but I'm still not sure you can use it to print.

6) Onscreen keyboard, like all tablets, missing or out of place essential keys - Not their fault, you can't get them all on screen like a real keyboard, makes the business of typing get in the way of the writing.

The iPad is brilliant if you are happy to carry a coffee-table book around with you which you are prepared to have snatched at any moment. It is good for emails, games, music & videos; if you are an artist, it is an excellent sketch pad, as recently demonstrated by David Hockney's exhition.

They are jewels, if I could have paid for an iPad 2 what I paid for my "who's going to steal that!" 8" Archos (199), which can do all that the iPad can't do except print, I would have bought one.

Cheapest iPad 399 no 3G, with 3G 499. Bluetooth keyboard & USB adaptor 65/75 - for transferring files/photos/music.... Oh no, you can't take your music.

10" Archos 299, with 3G 350 - Comes with a USB cable and a filing system.

I have a cheap tablet for travelling and a not very expensive laptop for writing.

My advice, as always, is decide what you want to do, then choose the best tool with which to do it; who makes it, what colour it is, how neat it looks, what kudos can be gained by being seen carrying it around are all secondary to the use you will put it to. If WORD or similar is what you write with, and all your files are in that format and you have a well organised filing and back-up system in place, you will be frustrated by the iPad; if you regularly print out your work as you go, because it is sometimes easier to proofread hard copy, then you will be frustrated; if you print out hard copy as back-up, then you will get frustrated; if you want to add memory as your needs grow, then you will be frustrated - So, decide what you want to do and how you want to do it, then buy the most appropriate product.

QDOS
April 23rd, 2012, 10:49 AM
23/04/2012 Writing discussion Ipad vs laptop
Hi,

So cometh the age of men,
Writing with paper and pen,
Then with keyboard touch to type,
Much more were you able to write,

Yet with iPad technology advance,
Comes your avenue of freelance,
Yet more words can be annexed.
With command of Speech to Text.

Drchrono, one of the first EHR apps for the Apple iPad, now incorporates software developer M*Modal's speech-to-text capabilities to enable physicians to dictate patients' clinical data.

Dragon Dictation (Speech to Text) iPhone App, Now iPad Optimized. The iPad can now be your secretary, typing out the words you speak! The Dragon Dictation for iPad and iPhone is free for a limited time.

QDOS :read:

Bloggsworth
April 23rd, 2012, 10:55 AM
If it works as well as IBM's ViaVoice, then you will spend a lot of time correcting...

Elowan
April 25th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Go with a laptop. In the long run you will get more work done and have less eye strain.

ChasWindsor
April 25th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I write on a laptop in ms word and then save as a PDF file. I then get that onto my iPad and import into iBooks. That way I can see how it looks to a reader.

Bloggsworth
April 25th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I believe that the iPad has a tablet version of pages.

zamzam
July 21st, 2012, 07:35 PM
Man this depend on ur needs, both have their own pros and cons. Some ipad pros i find are

To make your tablet PC more attractive and fun, Apple Inc has provided a range of iPad applications which can be downloaded and purchased from the iTunes Store. These apps are divided into various categories and all of them are perfectly aimed to make the user's life more comfortable.
The best thing about iPad is its size. It is very easy to carry and big enough so that all the work can be done pretty easily. It is great for doing office work, educational work and for entertainment. The product has a 10 inch screen with a scratch resistant glass which makes viewing an extraordinary experience.

source was : iPad Vs Laptop Pros And Cons – A Brief Intro About iPad Vs Laptop Pros And Cons 2011-2012 (http://www.geekreaders.com/a-brief-intro-about-ipad-vs-laptop-pros-and-cons-2011/)

garza
July 21st, 2012, 08:06 PM
I've tried typing on a friend's ipad and discovered that my fingers don't know where the letters are if they can't feel the keys. I carry an Acer Aspire netbook on the road and it does everything I need and is as easy to type on as a standard keyboard.

helium - My pocket notebook and two mechanical pencils (with spare leads) are with me always. When all else fails...

TheFuhrer02
July 22nd, 2012, 06:51 AM
So... iPad for writing? I don't know. Typing on a touchscreen seems hard for me. Tried it once, and despite the capacitative touch screen, the feel of a keyboard on your fingertips seems better.

Loulou
July 22nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
I am clearly the freak among you. I use a PC. Never use a laptop. If I'm not at home in my 'study' (corner of our living room) I write physically in notebooks by hand and then transfer it to whatever I'm working on. We have an iMac. We do have a tablet, I think the Galaxy one, in the house, which I bought my husband for Christmas, and also a laptop, but I don't really use them. I guess if you want to write on the go a laptop is the only way - unless you want to use a pen and paper like me.

SerenataImmortale
July 23rd, 2012, 01:24 AM
*pterodactyl screech*
I'm sorry, but personally, I've never been able to stand writing on an iPad. The iPad's good for other functions (games, websurfing, getting directions), and good to have around if you need to put down a sudden idea and don't have a pen and paper nearby, but for writing anything more than a few lines long, I've always found it awkward and ungainly and a good way to make my fingers stumble over themselves.
So, I prefer a laptop. I actually agree with Loulou in that a PC is my weapon of choice (it forces me to be more focused if I'm not laying down on my bed), but as a college student that keeps moving to new places of residence all the time, it's much more practical to just have small things.

movieman
July 23rd, 2012, 05:10 PM
So... iPad for writing? I don't know. Typing on a touchscreen seems hard for me. Tried it once, and despite the capacitative touch screen, the feel of a keyboard on your fingertips seems better.

I don't have an iPad, but I do have an Asus Android tablet and I can't imagine typing much more than URLs or the odd note on it. It also takes longer to boot than my netbook, though perhaps the iPad is faster (leaving it in suspend rather than shut down boots in a couple of seconds but burns through the battery in a few days).