PDA

View Full Version : SYNOPSIS: The Awakening:Samantha

GSBAINS
April 3rd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Let me know what you guys think :-)

AD654 – A lone missionary arrives at the Essex coast, his mission to construct a chapel, from there he could spread the teachings of Christianity. The true motive for travelling the vast distance from Lindisfarne Priory, was to hide an important artefact that he had secretly carried.

Many years later he lay on his deathbed, the artefact had been hidden, the final resting place a secret that he would take to the grave.

A double murder in present day London brings detectives Colin Murphy and Dinah Simmons into the fold, a routine murder investigation soon becomes a desperate struggle for survival. As the death toll continues to increase, the undeniable truth reveals itself. The lost artefact must be found, mankind faces a threat from its oldest and most dangerous enemy. Without the artefact, the fate of humanity is total annihilation.

But how is the rape and murder of a six-year-old girl linked to the murder investigation in London? The detectives must test their own faith, as the darkness begins its quest.

When all hope is lost, a saviour will rise.

qwertyman
April 3rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
If this is to accompany a query letter to a UK agent you’ve chosen the wrong format. They require an accurate description of the whole plot, complete with ending/outcome/dénouement.

I think writing a synopsis is incredibley difficult and most fail as, I'm afraid, does this one. I would not feel tempted to read the book.

If you have something original to sell - the synopsis should reveal it not hide it.

From what you have written I conclude a monk from the Dark Ages has a powerful religous relic which he knows must remain hidden for ever and then fast forward to present day and it's powerful secret is released.

I'm not inspired. I am sure it's much more interesting than that. If you have a twist or a new angle, you must include it.

Good luck, it's not easy.

GSBAINS
April 3rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
If this is to accompany a query letter to a UK agent you’ve chosen the wrong format. They require an accurate description of the whole plot, complete with ending/outcome/dénouement.

I think writing a synopsis is incredibley difficult and most fail as, I'm afraid, does this one. I would not feel tempted to read the book.

If you have something original to sell - the synopsis should reveal it not hide it.

From what you have written I conclude a monk from the Dark Ages has a powerful religous relic which he knows must remain hidden for ever and then fast forward to present day and it's powerful secret is released.

I'm not inspired. I am sure it's much more interesting than that. If you have a twist or a new angle, you must include it.

Good luck, it's not easy.

Thanks for the feedback,

The difficulty i am finding with this story is not to give the game away in the synopsis, i feel if i gave the story away in the synopsis the book would not be worth reading?

And you are correct, the synopsis is so bloody hard to get right :-( But all feedback is welcomed so i can try to get it spot on :-)

GSBAINS
April 3rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Also to add, nothing has been sent to anyone yet, the professional proofreading will come first and then i will rewrite the synopsis until its perfect :-)

qwertyman
April 3rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
Also to add, nothing has been sent to anyone yet, the professional proofreading will come first and then i will rewrite the synopsis until its perfect :-)

I don't know your campaign plan. It sounds as though you're going the self-publishing route in which case you won't need a synopsis, you'll need a sort of promotional jacket blurb and, your right, you will want to hold back on revealing all. However, it has to be more beguiling than your first effort.

GSBAINS
April 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
I don't know your campaign plan. It sounds as though you're going the self-publishing route in which case you won't need a synopsis, you'll need a sort of promotional jacket blurb and, your right, you will want to hold back on revealing all. However, it has to be more beguiling than your first effort.

Not really decided which route to take yet if i be honest, would prefer self publishing to enable more control, yet the marketing side would be extremely difficult :-(

It will take 3 weeks for the proofreading, will cook up a better synopsis in that time :)

dreamer444
April 12th, 2012, 05:42 AM
GSBains if I had picked up your bood and read that synopsis I would be intrigued and would probably read the book.

GSBAINS
April 12th, 2012, 11:42 AM
GSBains if I had picked up your bood and read that synopsis I would be intrigued and would probably read the book.

Thanks dreamer, i think it needs a little more depth to it though, just to intrigue the reader just that bit more :-)

GSBAINS
April 12th, 2012, 03:12 PM
How about this version:

AD654 - A lone missionary arrives at the Essex coast, his mission to construct a chapel for worship. Hidden within this chapel would be the most important artefact ever created. Forged from the timber of the fabled tree of life, this artefact would become the last hope for humanity as the darkness begins its rise.

A double murder investigation in present day London brings detectives Colin Murphy and Dinah Simmons into the fold, a routine murder case soon becomes a desperate struggle for survival. As the death toll continues to increase, the unbelievable becomes the undeniable. The lost artefact must be found at all costs, mankind will once more come face to face with its oldest and most dangerous adversary.

But how does the murder of a six-year-old girl create the paradox that jeopardises the involvement of our only saviour? As the time of revelations draws closer, the cries from billions of souls across the planet remain unanswered.

​All feedback appreciated :-)