PDA

View Full Version : Returning Friends

Shorty Dawkins
March 15th, 2012, 10:38 PM
This is a continuation of The River Heals. It follows The American Dream.

Returning Friends

The river has many friends.

John was sitting beside the river with his Uncles one morning in late July. It was a pleasant place to sit on a hot day. The river was a low, as there hadn't been much rain in the last two weeks, but that didn't bother them. They were used to the seasonal changes in the river. They had seen it high and low. They had seen it rise over its banks during more than one spring thaw, too. To sit and watch the river at any time pleased them. There was a certain constancy about the river that was reassuring. Despite what life had to offer, the river always flowed. It always sought its path to the sea.

A car pulled into the driveway, as they sat chatting. John turned to look who it was that had come for a visit. Four people got out of the car; two men and two women. He didn't recognize the men, but he sure did recognize the women. They were Sue Spoerl and Jill Floyd, from High School. He smiled and went to greet them. He had always liked the two girls. They were smart and pretty, and he had enjoyed long conversations with them.

“Well, look who's here! Sue and Jill! How are you? I haven't seen either one of you since the summer after graduation.” John said, as he approached them.

“Hi Johnny.” Sue replied.

“We did our West Coast thing, but now we are back.” Jill smiled at him. “It's good to see you, Johnny. We've missed those conversations we used to have with you.”

“It's good to see you both.” Johnny said. “So, introduce me to your friends.”

“This handsome fellow is my husband. Carl Jenkins.” Sue held his arm and smiled at Carl.

“Husband? My goodness! You got hitched?” Johnny held out his hand. “It's a pleasure to meet you, Carl. I'm Johnny Brown. You've got yourself a good woman there. Hang on to her.”

“Thank you. I plan on keeping her. It's a pleasure to meet you. We've heard a lot about you.” Carl said in reply.

“Have you? Nothing good, if it comes from these two. Honest, I never laid a glove on either of them. They are good friends, though.” Johnny said.

“And this is my husband, Barry Price.” Jill said.

“It's nice to finally meet you, John. Jill has said a lot of nice things about you.” Barry offered his hand. “We heard you lost your arm in Vietnam. That's a shame. Have you come to terms with it?”

“Yes, I have, Barry. Thanks for asking. We can get over the awkwardness of it real fast this way.” Johnny said. “Some men died over there, while others lost limbs. Some are in mental hospitals. Most will never be the same. I'm thankful I have my soul intact.”

“That is well put, Johnny. War is hell, no matter how you look at it. My brother was over there. He knows what war is.” Barry said.

“Which brings us to the reason we came to visit you, Johnny.” Sue said. “We have heard you have a book you are trying to get published. We want to publish it. Seth Wheeler said he had read it and it was the most powerful war book he had ever read.”

“You want to publish it?” Johnny was surprised. “Are you into book publishing?”

“Carl and I are.” Barry said. “Jill and Sue are starting a new Coffee Shop and Bookstore combination here in town. We just bought the vacant building down at the end of River Street. We will start fixing it up very soon.”

“We'll have a large deck overlooking the river in the back.” Jill enthused. “And we'll sell all the books Carl and Barry publish. Your book along with the others.”

“How many others do you have?” Johnny wondered. “And what's your company?”

“Price-Jenkins Publishing Company.” Carl said. “We have four other titles, so far, with two more promised once they are finished. We hope to eventually publish eight to ten titles per year. We have just started our second year of operation.”

“Let's talk. Come meet my Uncles. My book is their story.” Johnny said.

bazz cargo
April 13th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hi Shorty,
This is an odd piece. The dialogue is a bit stiff, not up to your usual standard. And it seems like a rather long introduction to a more important segment. As always your spag seems impeccable and there is some good character detail.

This is only me musing, have you ever considered having a go at the literary manoeuvres? It has helped me no end. I think it is the best teaching tool around for an aspiring writer.

I like reading what you write.:biggrin:

Shorty Dawkins
May 2nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
Hi Shorty,
This is an odd piece. The dialogue is a bit stiff, not up to your usual standard. And it seems like a rather long introduction to a more important segment. As always your spag seems impeccable and there is some good character detail.

Yes, it is a setup for what comes later, bazz. It could do with some rewrite. I think you are right about the stiffness.

This is only me musing, have you ever considered having a go at the literary manoeuvres? It has helped me no end. I think it is the best teaching tool around for an aspiring writer.

I've been offline for about a month. What are the literary manoeuveres?

I like reading what you write.:biggrin:

Thanks, bazz. Glad you like it.

Shorty

playingthepianodrunk
May 9th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I think maybe there should be some breaks between the dialogue perhaps to explain how certain people truly feel etc. Because it is being narrated.