PDA

View Full Version : My Lyric writing Philosophy

jonius
March 12th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Hey guys, I'm Andrew Jonius and I've written over fifty songs. I'm in a band called the time travellers, and I'd like to share with you my lyric writing philosophy. Hopefully this will help you with your song writing growth, and hopefully we'll hear some new original stuff hitting the airwaves soon because frankly I'm sick of pop culture music.
Lyric writing philosophy
I don't care what they say, cliche's are boring. Useful sometimes but boring. Rework the cliche into your own words please.
songs need to tell a story, take you on an sentimental journey or simply make a point about a human emotion. If they don't do this they are short lived.
Simple is profound: (example) "All you need is Love" Beatles. Don't over think it let it flow...
the more you think about it as you are writing the less fun it is. Rework it later! The best songs are improvised, because they come from the soul. "I'm a soul man, du du du du du du." (Blues Brothers)
If you want some songwriting guidance, study Simon and Garfunkle, genius! Sadly "Sound of Silence" rings true. WE have become accustomed to listening to gurgle. One of my favorite songs is "Waving flag." By K'naan, it's def. worth listening to in all its versions. Songs are our outlet, our art form, our way of expressing our deepest emotions to the human race without getting stoned to death. YET. Music my friends is not just a career, music is a calling. "I consider it a challenge before the whole human race that I'm not gonna lose.. WE are the champions." (Queen) "Chasing that Neon rainbow, living that honkey tonk dream." (Allan Jackson)
Music will help us achieve world peace! So when you write, write for the betterment of man kind. "All we are saying is give peace a chance!" John Lennon. Most of all and I cannot stress this point enough, sing them TOGETHER. Songs sound so much better in unity. Be willing to let your stuff evolve and you will bear fruits you could never imagine.
Peace and Love
Andrew Jonius

LaughinJim
March 12th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hi Andrew,

I am not a lyricist, but I do write poetry. The nice difference is that poetry can appear elitist or effete to those who donít understand that they are the same. When God grants one the gift of music and words that person can appeal to a mass popular audience and transmit his or her message. When that message is peace, love and understanding then something must happen.

Your philosophy is truly that for it is wise. Intelligently designed music and lyrics that are not coarse or corrupting should be every composerís goal. Yours is a beautiful message. Always keep your profound faith in a message of love.

Do not give up.

As Paul said: "Not only that but we ourselves, although we have the spirit as first fruits, groan inwardly while we await the redemption of our bodies. In hope we were saved. But hope is not hope if its object is seen; how is it possible for one to hope for what he sees? And hope for what we cannot see means awaiting it with patient endurance." (Romans) In other words: if people donít get your message, there may be Hell to pay.

Peace,

Jim