PDA

View Full Version : Shameless Self Promotion.

Potty
February 23rd, 2012, 02:23 AM
I was sat on the toilet just now imagining what being published would be like and how I feel it's still a long way off. But then I thought about all the short stories I've written. I could make a collected works as most of them are on a similar theme. I thought about self publishing them on Amazon. Then I wondered how I go about letting people know the work is out there and here is what I came up with:

Article in the newspaper (in the advert section)
Printed flyers hand delivered to lots of doors
Town crier
Bill board
leaving little adverts in all the pubs I go into.
Stand in the street handing out flyers
Go on This Morning
Sky writing
Buying all the others books in the world so the only one left is mine.
And such.

Now then, is this a good idea (putting costs aside for a moment) or would this be classed as bad publicising and get my legs broken? The way I see it is if I can get a decent number of people to download it then I will start to attract other people without working for them.

I reckon its a bit like pigeon hunting, put a few decoys down and then all the live birds come in to land.

So... have I got the right idea with my publicising techniques?

Rustgold
February 23rd, 2012, 03:52 AM
Shoot, you almost have a top 10 ways NOT to promote a book.

The Backward OX
February 23rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
Between you and Olly, you've just about got this story promotion business sewn up.

You could also become a travelling story-teller, walking about from place to place, telling exciting extracts from your yarns, gratis, and then offering listeners the opportunity to purchase printed copies of the entire work or works. You could start at the Charing Cross Tube entrance, then head for Nelson's Column, and from there work your way back down to Whitehall...

Potty
February 23rd, 2012, 10:49 AM
Are Olly's ideas as good as mine then? Let's face it, mine are pretty special!

GSBAINS
March 29th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Marketing is the most difficult part of self-publishing

Lakeside3533
March 31st, 2012, 02:08 AM
This is tough - where to start? Dan Poynter's Sel-Publishing Manual Vols 1 and 2 - the money you spent on these two books would be a fraction of the time and money spent on the 10 ways you listed. You could start buying only Vol 2 and we no worse off.

One problem I see is that the book itself- a collection of things you wrote because they were the same theme- that's seems a bit doomed. I think trying to pull that together to make it coherent might be difficult, impossible, or the end effect would show that they are not even or transitioned very well. That's a tough one.

You have a lot of things going on here.

KTimmins
April 2nd, 2012, 07:22 AM
From what I understand, you are going to have to market yourself even if you get published by a publishing company, so you should probably start on those things now anyways. Amazon works on marketing your book through the "You Might Like This Too..." option. Get your friends who buy books in your genre to buy your book and it will start showing up.
Marketing today is a slippery beast because it changes at such a whiplash worthy pace. The marketing staples are: start a blog, submit to online publications, understand analytics, learn SEO, and inevitably, drive traffic. There are a lot of blogs out there about self publishing. I would check out Dean Wesley Smith. His advice is to keep writing. The more you write the more audience you build.
Also, I think your short story compilation is a good idea.

BabaYaga
April 2nd, 2012, 07:29 AM
You should do something really outrageous on the internet and then you can be the guy who shaved a live badger on YouTube... and by the way has written a collection of short stories available on Amazon.

Olly Buckle
April 2nd, 2012, 08:16 AM
I think there is a certain similarity to my ideas in that we are both thinking a bit small, like in your local or handing out flyers, both things that approach one person at a time. The advice given me was "Think bigger, like could you get Premier Inns to replace the Bible with something people actually want to read?" I couldn't, but the principle is good, 'why do something that might sell one book when you could do something that might sell five hundred'?

Trilby
April 5th, 2012, 12:04 AM
love your idea of buying all the other books in the world so yours would be the only book left - brilliant!