PDA

View Full Version : Cue Cupid

Gisele9
January 13th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Valentine's Day: Cue Cupid

Call me an idiot, but even though I completely hate valentines day and all it's yuckiness, I still acknowledge it, albeit in a negative sense. Last Feb 14 I actually took a two day trip to side step being in my town alone. Whilst restaurants filled with couples gazing into each others eyes, the woman with a solitary rose perching on her bag, the man looking uncomfortable and out of place and checking the prices of the menu discreetly, I was in the comfort of a bed and breakfast 60 miles away, happy in the knowledge that I wouldn't hear the letterbox 'not' clacking with the sound of cards, I wouldn't hear the phone 'not' ringing, I wouldn't have to be reminded that I am without a partner.

Not that I am not happy, any other day I feel great about my status and revel in my freedom, and have a positive view of my love life and future. But the 14, oh it's just so depressing. Why is there no 'singles celebrate' day?? Where are my
chocolates! And god forbid you are in the early stages of dating someone as was my case last year, not yet exclusive and in complete angst about how to deal with this tricky celebration. Originally i thought of scheduling a date with him on the 13th, thus making it impossible to see each other the following night. Then I wondered what he was thinking - was he breaking out in a sweat at the tackiness and stress of it too? Or as a man had he no idea that it was V day just around the corner? Hence me taking off for a short break. Problem solved and only 300 pounds spent that I didn't have.

It is all so false and contrived. However, just to completely contradict myself, I have had some wonderful valentines nights when I was coupled up. Yes the chocs and teddy bears and lollipops and jewelry are thrilling when you are 'in lurve'. They put a stupid grin on your face and make you walk around in a stupor writing thank you texts whilst the butterflies in your tummy do somersaults. Because however it is bashed for being commercial and void of class, which it is most definitely, it is also something every woman secretly does hate and wish would go away when she is single.

What is a girl to do the night of this dreaded date the 14th? The secret lies in watching romantic comedies with your sister, or singing Cyndi lauders 'Girls just want to have fun' while clinking champagneglasses with your best girl pals at the local pub, or just catching up on reading or sleep with a hot chocolate in your hands and your cat purring away on your lap. Don't worry, we wont tell that even though you dismiss valentine's day as rubbish and cruel to anyone at the office whowould listen, you still check your mailbox twice. :-)

V day sucks.

Gisele9
January 16th, 2012, 01:07 PM
thanks for the like terrib :-)))

Mordecai
February 14th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Valentine's Day: Cue Cupid

Call me an idiot, but even though I completely hate valentines day and all it's yuckiness, I still acknowledge it, albeit in a negative sense. Last Feb 14 I actually took a two day trip to side step being in my town alone. Whilst restaurants filled with couples gazing into each others eyes, the woman with a solitary rose perching on her bag, the man looking uncomfortable and out of place and checking the prices of the menu discreetly, I was in the comfort of a bed and breakfast 60 miles away, happy in the knowledge that I wouldn't hear the letterbox 'not' clacking with the sound of cards, I wouldn't hear the phone 'not' ringing, I wouldn't have to be reminded that I am without a partner.

Not that I am not happy, any other day I feel great about my status and revel in my freedom, and have a positive view of my love life and future. But the 14, oh it's just so depressing. Why is there no 'singles celebrate' day?? Where are my
chocolates! And god forbid you are in the early stages of dating someone as was my case last year, not yet exclusive and in complete angst about how to deal with this tricky celebration. Originally i thought of scheduling a date with him on the 13th, thus making it impossible to see each other the following night. Then I wondered what he was thinking - was he breaking out in a sweat at the tackiness and stress of it too? Or as a man had he no idea that it was V day just around the corner? Hence me taking off for a short break. Problem solved and only 300 pounds spent that I didn't have.

It is all so false and contrived. However, just to completely contradict myself, I have had some wonderful valentines nights when I was coupled up. Yes the chocs and teddy bears and lollipops and jewelry are thrilling when you are 'in lurve'. They put a stupid grin on your face and make you walk around in a stupor writing thank you texts whilst the butterflies in your tummy do somersaults. Because however it is bashed for being commercial and void of class, which it is most definitely, it is also something every woman secretly does hate and wish would go away when she is single.

What is a girl to do the night of this dreaded date the 14th? The secret lies in watching romantic comedies with your sister, or singing Cyndi lauders 'Girls just want to have fun' while clinking champagne glasses with your best girl pals at the local pub, or just catching up on reading or sleep with a hot chocolate in your hands and your cat purring away on your lap. Don't worry, we wont tell that even though you dismiss valentine's day as rubbish and cruel to anyone at the office who would listen, you still check your mailbox twice. :-)

V day sucks.

...even though you dismiss valentine's day as rubbish and cruel to anyone at the office who would listen, you still check your mailbox twice. :smile:

I know the feeling, and I am a 73 year old male! :frog:

Not giving up though!