PDA

View Full Version : The Universal Narrator (only 229 words)

Dramatism
January 5th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I don't know what I'd consider this writing. Short story? No, much too short. Flash fiction? Doesn't that mean that something would have to be happening? This is just short prose, I guess, and I thought of it a while ago and just got around to typing it! Really, this piece is all in fun and is nothing serious :tranquillity:.

I am the Universal Narrator

I am the third person omniscient narrator for everything ever written of that nature. I see everything in a story, every reality that’s created. I see it all, know it all. I am aware of every event that occurs (all at once without being overwhelmed), and know what every character thinks. I’m not a person, just the being that sees it all. But, I can also purposely limit my abilities when I’m a third person limited narrator. I only know what the protagonist feels and sees- but all the better for surprises in a story. I also can become the protagonist when I’m the first person narrator. I feel what he feels, I do what he does. The person I become may think he’s telling the whole story, but that’s silly. No alive being remembers everything that was said and exactly how he felt at the time. I interpret the story for him so he feels like he’s saying it. What about those stories where the character recollects an event for the whole story? His retelling it perfectly is only an illusion, I’m really the one telling the story.

Why am I even saying this in first person? I’m just a mind floating in space everywhere, so I might as well be nothing…

If one ever wonders what the universal narrator is, there is no one to ask unless one starts to write…

Kyle R
January 6th, 2012, 12:01 AM
: )

Oh, great Universal Narrator, you have forgotten your most exuberant of all performances: the second person narrative!

Dramatism
January 6th, 2012, 03:58 AM
At times, I do talk directly to you, but I do that rarely for I find it improper. I can't believe I'm talking directly to you! But oh, like my opinion matters. Do I even have an opinion...hum. What do you think?

Kyle R
January 6th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Lol

lawrencewalls
January 11th, 2012, 03:57 AM
lol this is the best 229 words i've read all day. actually, to me its more like poetry then a work of fiction lol

QDOS
January 11th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Hi Dramatism
The written word, nicely put, and Moses can down from the mount and the word was law, or in the words of Julia Cesar- 'Veni Vidi Vici' - I came, I saw, I conquered.

QDOS O:)