PDA

View Full Version : Chaplin

ElDavido
December 29th, 2011, 10:31 PM
New work I started. It's planned to be structured around 6 speeches, 3 dissident and 3 conservative which are loosely parallel, in a distopian world wherein all persons are trapped by endentured labour in what are gargantuan workhouses. The 3 liberal speeches are played on a loop long after the author is dead and the final one is heard first as the introduction to the novel. It's heavily influenced by the namesake of the title as well as other revolutionary works.

'Sir, I ask you: what do you do?'
'I am a soldier.'
And you sir, beside him: what do you do?'
'I too am a soldier.'
'Then to the both of you and every man and woman in this hall today I speak. If my voice will travel through wire, wave or human mouth; if it will evoke in your ears and your minds the same fire it burns in mine; if it causes you to act where previously lay the wastes of lethargy and apathy I bid you listen. Everyone in receipt of these sounds I bid you listen. Not merely hear. Not merely to passively consume. But to listen. Listen to these words!

We live in a world barren of thought; we live in a world devoid of sympathy and love; we live in a world in want of justice, fairness and equality. We live in want. This world which we call home sees a handful prevail in decadence and surplus while we grovel at the foot of industry and greed. You, I and everyone else, save for a select few, endure in this pathetic want we call reality. But we can still conceive of that outwith this place. We can still conceive of a world of liberty. Where we are free to travel as we please. Where we are free to speak as we wish. Where we are free to work but not because we must. Where we are free, dear people. Free. Every one of us can conceptualise such a world in our minds. But we deny ourselves of it because we have given ourselves to brutes. Given ourselves willingly to the architects of our suffering. We have capitulated exactly that which makes us human to those who are no longer men. We have extinguished the everlasting ideas of utopia with alien false desires of greed and malice. But we are not they. We are not they to whom we submit. We, where a small ember of humanity burns unsmothered, stand distinct.

All I ask is that you do not give yourselves. If they take you with arms we will not lay blame. We will praise you as one of us. But do not give yourselves to those that despise you. To those that enslave you, regiment you. Those that tell you what to wear, when to eat, what to feel, who to love, and who to hate. Those that debase you to the level of cattle. Those that deconstruct you further to mere instruments. But our hearts beat with blood not with electricity, oil or malevolent thought of man. We are not means to an end! We are not machines! You and I are persons. And from this we have what they can never have. You and I can love. I know not your name or number, race, colour, creed, or family but I love you as much as I could anyone. That is something they can never have. That is something they can never understand. For they do not see you. To me you are human. But to them we are but numbers.

While they may propagate their position as loved, providing rulers. Hail themselves as champions of freedom. Draw themselves as protector of the people. They free no one but themselves. They say freedom is universal. That we were bound together and that we are now free together. But they merely free themselves by the enslavement of others. Of you and I! For you are enslaved. You and I, and everyone in this country our forebearers once called their own, are enslaved. While you may look upon yourselves as provided for and sheltered, you are not. You are as bound as I or any other. We all have hooks pulled through our cheeks and they draw us to the surface as they please.

I have said all I can. But I must ask you one last thing. I entreat you to rise as one. Let us fight as one to free our world, for it is our world! Rid ourselves of imposed values of subjugation, of class, of national barriers. Rid ourselves of greed, of hate and of intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where we progress and learn to the benefit of all our happiness. Soldiers! Both old and new! I entreat you rise! I ask, implore, beseech, plead, charge and obligate you with these finite words, and a motive far in excess, to rise and mark yourselves as Walworth. We are the true owners of this world, you and I, and it is time we expressed our authority. Men and women of the world, unite!”

SamMcClure
January 22nd, 2012, 04:40 PM
The story's concept has me confused, but the speech is beautifully written! I would try to find another phrase for "human mouth" though.

ElDavido
January 24th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Well the story was a little tricky to work out, dystopia was easy to create with the massive totalitarian regimes like the Soviet Union still in place but nowadays it is harder to conceptualise a world that people can relate to and that is believable. I just thought about how if inflation outstripped wages to a certain extent then workhouse industries could come back. Because workers wouldn't earn money there wouldn't be any escape from it.

Thank you for your comments on the writing, it really does mean a lot! As for 'human mouth', do you think, 'word of mouth' or something of that ilk would suit better?

Bloggsworth
January 24th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Chaplin didn't talk much....

ElDavido
January 24th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Eeem yes he did. He's known for his silent work but his career carried on into the talkies. Watch The Great Dictator, Chaplin's broadside at Hitler. The big speech he makes when he gets thrust into the dictatorial position is what inspired this speech.