PDA

View Full Version : What Do you look for in Poetry?

Nacian
September 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Looking for ideas to orientate my writing/poetry.

aj47
September 8th, 2011, 01:03 AM
well, don't ask me because I'm fussy.

What I don't like is smaller so I'll tell you that. I don't like free verse when it is just prose with funny line breaks. I like *hearing* slam poetry but not reading it -- I can't put the stresses in it right and it jumbles in my head. I don't like near-rhyme or slant-rhyme or anything like that in structured verse -- if you're going through the trouble of making, say a villanelle, then make that puppy *rhyme*.

I try to write the kinds of things I'd like to read. That doesn't mean I don't experiment. And, like most of us, I've created crap from time to time.

Nacian
September 10th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Can you illutsrate with a quick example...that would be great if you could.

The Backward OX
September 10th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Ballads. For some reason, they're a bit thin on the ground around here.

Nacian
September 10th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I am not familiar with Ballads?
Can you illustrate or start a ballad thread in the Poetry section to get us practicing do you think?

The Backward OX
September 10th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Nope, sorry, I only read them. I'm no balladeer.

Nacian
September 10th, 2011, 09:44 AM
AH.
Do youhave a favourite?
We could have a look?

xlwoo
March 4th, 2012, 05:07 PM
in the writing of a poem, we just put what we want to say in poetic words.

prulhiere36
May 21st, 2012, 05:44 PM
in the writing of a poem, we just put what we want to say in poetic words.

and sometimes finding the right word is a nightmare....

Axamander
May 29th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Two words: Rhyme Scheme! While I have read a free verse poem or two which has blown me off my feet, the fact is that a good rhyme scheme makes a poem 1000 times more enjoyable to me.

newkidintown
June 2nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
I'm not much of a poet anymore, but I've always just loved poems that express a common thing in a totally unique way. It's a lot rarer than it sounds; way too many people try always to make sense while writing poetry. They need to understand: poetry is emotions put into words, and emotions don't always make sense.

I also hate the use of conjunctions in poems, unless they are an absolute necessity.

CrazyInk
June 13th, 2012, 02:05 AM
I love image that's what I look for in poetry.

Nemesis
June 13th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Great rhyme scheme (I have to be able to say it to myself), vivid imagery even if they are not describing a scene, and heavy emotion, I lean much towards the darker types of emotion and more macabre literature

HaveCourage
July 4th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I look for something I can relate to. I look for something melodramatic. I love anything that has the courage to say the things I'm too scared to. I love well painted images :).

philistine
July 4th, 2012, 06:02 AM
As cliché as it may sound, I look for truth. I enjoy the poet's words, having been culminated from a wealth of life experience, hardship, joy, and whatever else. They frequently touch upon similar ground, though some have an entirely new perspective altogether.

Nee
January 23rd, 2013, 06:27 AM
I look for something that grabs my eyes and wont let go 'til the end--something that reads itself to me. Something that has a point; something that has meaning. Even if that meaning is only found within the way it has been presented.

gia_allwords
April 19th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Poetry is feeling. Poetry is the possibility of the impossible. Poetry is what makes my heart sing and my life worth living. Therefore I am looking for feelings, beautiful metaphors and the passion of the passionate, to remind me that I am alive and not all is lost.

Lyra Laurant
April 20th, 2013, 03:22 AM
I don't look for anything specific... I actually expect the poem to surprise me with something beautiful, or maybe sad, scary, crazy, amazing... A new idea, or a new way of seing an old idea, or just an image that makes me have my own ideas... Oh, forget what I first wrote. I look for creativity! XD