PDA

View Full Version : So now you've published your book..

MJ Preston
July 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Now the hard work begins, marketing it. Unless of course you've published with a major distributor, have a publicist, and are jet setting all over the country doing readings and signings. I don't know about you, but I don't have that advantage, so the onus is on me. So, in doing this I have made some definite moves to get the word out on my book. Here is a list of what I have done.

Start a website with lots information about the novel
Open a Facebook account
Have a Youtube channel and produce trailers
Open a twitter account
Advertise on forums where they allow
Submit your novel to blogs and or writer friendly sites

As far as the website goes I actually have two and they were well established before I published my novel. The sites are at the top of the search engine listings when you Google my name, but to keep it current in the search engine listings you have to be vigilant.

I actually have two Facebook accounts one personal, one professional. Facebook is a very effective way to network with other people to get the word out on your book, I have sold some work through FB so I would definitely recommend it.

Youtube, like your website, must be pushed hard. A trailer for a book? Sure, even Stephen King is doing trailers for some of his work. Here are two examples of my trailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lnb4oe5_3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay_NqZz7FkA

Twitter. I can't report that I have had much luck with Twitter. The only followers I have managed to pick up are people or organizations that are looking to sell me tickets to hockey games or football.

Advertising on forums, (where they allow). Places like WF are a good place to share your work, but as noted in the recent newsletter you have to prove that your not just here to pimp your work. In essence I am advertising on WF write now, but I have also contributed stories, horrible poetry and interacted with the members here. So I am not just here to pimp my work, but if you all run out and buy a copy of my novel I am not going to complain one bit.

Submitting your work to blogs. I have done just this and I also have two blogs that I hope will raise the profile of my novel in the search engines. There is one other thing that I did not mention and that is: Write! Write on the web! Write opinion pieces and stories. Anything you leave on the internet is like a fingerprint and if it sparks interest it will inevitably lead back to you and your novel.

I am by no means a guru when it comes to this and I have been pounding away hard for the books I have sold so far. If anyone can suggest other avenues for getting the word out I would love to hear them.

Best of luck fellow writers.

J.R. MacLean
July 16th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Very interesting MJ. Thanks for posting it. I especially like the Youtube idea. Did you produce them yourself and if so what software did you use? Is a videocam essential and I imagine you have to be pretty careful about what backround music you use?

MJ Preston
July 16th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Very interesting MJ. Thanks for posting it. I especially like the Youtube idea. Did you produce them yourself and if so what software did you use? Yes I did produce them myself using Windows Movie Maker, an animation program and my own Artwork

Is a videocam essential and I imagine you have to be pretty careful about what backround music you use?

I did not use a webcan for either of these videos and yes, you do have to be careful about the music. I used music produced by Kevin MacLeod, who allows artists to use his music as long as you credit him. He also appreciates a donation.

Aderyn
July 16th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks MJ, this is useful stuff :) and I might even read your book!

MJ Preston
July 16th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks MJ, this is useful stuff :) and I might even read your book!

Whatever I can do to help,, And sell books.