PDA

View Full Version : There's one born every minute...

The Backward OX
June 13th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I thought I might share this, so that you’ll know what an old goat you have amongst you.

I’m presently in rewrite mode.

I have two separate but identical files for each scene or chapter. I have my reasons. When I complete a rewrite of a scene, I also paste it into the second file.

So far, so good.

However, I’ve now found that I sometimes have three different versions of one chapter, each filed under its own name. These third versions contain additional story which I’d completely forgotten I’d written.

It’s anybody’s guess why, in each of these cases, I created a new file instead of just adding it to both the others. I know I wasn’t born stupid. Confusion, maybe? They say it happens as we age.

So now I’m faced with even more work, as I search for even more third files, rewrite their additional stuff, and squeeze it into the originals. Who knows what I’ll find? It’s like the Lucky Dip at the village fair, only with lots of swearing.

garza
June 13th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Except that with Lucky Dip, you can blame someone else, as in 'Why did they put that in there?'

Nick
June 13th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Except that with Lucky Dip, you can blame someone else, as in 'Why did they put that in there?'

Become a conspiracy theorist, and you can still do this. The government is trying to write stories for you!

Are the stories good, Ox, or relevant at all to the other chapters at all, or just quite random?

The Backward OX
June 13th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Are the stories good, Ox, or relevant at all to the other chapters at all, or just quite random?

Now THAT is a very good question.

Rustgold
June 14th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Become a conspiracy theorist, and you can still do this. The government is trying to write stories for you!
Totally, especially if your computer is hooked onto the internet. We have female leaders in both Qld & Aust, so we'll blame them :)

Don't worry, I can go into a file and go 'oh yeah, that.' I just need to come up with an excuse for it. Maybe hormones in food, or the lack of.

Gumby
June 14th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Now, you're really looking at this wrong. Think of all those who have no files to look at and thus no story, you on the other hand, have three to choose from. An abundance of riches, some people just can't stand prosperity. :tongue:

candid petunia
June 15th, 2011, 10:53 AM
All I can say is :salut:
:P