PDA

View Full Version : Pseudonyms and Branding

MCoorlim
April 30th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Generally speaking, if writers create in wildly different genre/tone/voice is the general practice to create a new pen-name/brand for different projects? I know that some go together better than others - science fiction and fantasy, for example - but I've heard that the reading public tends to pigeonhole authors and is less likely to believe that someone who writes (say) hard science fiction could write a compelling paranormal romance (or the other way around), and an author of YA Lit might prefer to publish steamy erotica under a different name.

Is this the case in traditional publishing? What about indie e-publishing?

KarlR
April 30th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I'll paraphrase an answer I've seen about this in the past: Do the easy part first. Get published. Then worry about the pigeonholing and nom de plumeing.

MCoorlim
April 30th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I'm not worried about it, just curious about it. It's an aspect of writing that interests me in an intellectual sense. I'm well aware that it doesn't matter at this point in my development as a writer - that doesn't mean that I think the question is meaningless.

garza
May 1st, 2011, 03:17 AM
The public does associate a name with a genre. From another field, consider Hank Williams. Most of his songs were honky-tonk/blues. He wrote and recorded some songs that were very much out of character under the name Luke the Drifter. The public knew that Luke and Hank were the same, but they also expected a certain sound if it carried the 'Hank Williams' brand.

KarlR
May 1st, 2011, 05:26 PM
Sorry, M. The more time you spend on these forums (fora?) the more times you see some repeat postings. Your question is valid. Here's some more on the topic.

http://www.writingforums.com/writing-discussion/119638-how-important-stick-one-genre-author.html#post1419453

Happy reading and writing.

Forest Girl
May 17th, 2011, 03:10 AM
I use a pseudonym for my fiction writing and my real name for my non-fiction.

I didn't start using my pen name until I got my book contract.