PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Dragons

Candra H
March 23rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
I thought I might post a thread or two in here, maybe get some activity going.

This is a painting I worked on for about two years and finally finished about a month or so ago. Size is A1 (24x32") and I used acrylic paint on canvas board.

All comments welcome, and apologies for the poor quality photo. One day soon I'll upgrade my camera...

Like a Fox
March 24th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Hey, that looks beautiful, Candra. I love the depth you've created within one hue.

(And welcome back! *hugs* Nice to see you :) )

Dreamworx95
March 24th, 2011, 02:39 AM
That is so awesome! Wish I could draw like that!

Leyline
March 24th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Really love that one, C. Terrific sense of ferocity captured. I also love how the dragons match their surroundings, like animals who actually evolve in a certain environment.

Best,

-G.

Gumby
March 24th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Awesome just about covers it. :) Beautiful colors and detail.

_ Ellie _ Sinclair _
March 24th, 2011, 08:52 AM
The amount of detail you put in this is amazing! I especially like the sky. :)

Olly Buckle
March 24th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Not the full weyr then? :)
I remember from writing discussions we were both into dragons, wish I could draw them like that.

Candra H
March 25th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Wow, lots of comments on this one. Thanks!

Hey, that looks beautiful, Candra. I love the depth you've created within one hue.

(And welcome back! *hugs* Nice to see you :) )

Hey, Miss Fox! It's nice to see you too. And thanks! The colours were something I struggled with because normally I'll work a few different tones into the dragons but didn't want to lose them in the background, so reduced the palette. That you think the depth is still there even in such a limted palette is very good to hear.

Really love that one, C. Terrific sense of ferocity captured. I also love how the dragons match their surroundings, like animals who actually evolve in a certain environment.

Best,

-G.

Thanks, G! It's good to hear the dragons look like they belong and evolved naturally in their world because I want them to be believable, even though dragons arent actually real. Well, not to everyone, heh.

Not the full weyr then? :)
I remember from writing discussions we were both into dragons, wish I could draw them like that.

Ech, you got me, Olly. I had to google weyr. And nope, my beasties have nothing to do with humans, apart from bits of their anatomy, so those weyr things are something altogther different. Thanks for the kind words, and it's great to hear another dragon lover likes what I do, because we all have our own ideas about how they should look.

I'm currently working on anatomy sketches and ideas for my next painting so will try to post a work in progress thread at some point...

vangoghsear
March 28th, 2011, 02:01 AM
What medium are those? Nicely done.

Candra H
March 28th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks, Vangoghsear. The painting was done using acrylics on canvas board and is A1 (24x32"). I actually forgot to put that in the op so thanks for reminding me about it. Will go back and edit forthwith.