PDA

View Full Version : A Walk Through Time (advice)

ErkWitz
January 27th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I'm a 17 year old, high school senior and I'm in a creative writing class. I've read several posts here and have come to the conclusion that creative writing classes are a touchy subject. Either way, I just want to go on record saying my teacher is really relaxed and understanding. She doesn't try and tell me how to write; just what to write about. And if I end up coming up with a completely different idea inspired by the topic then I'm allowed to pursue it. The topic was the flow of time, and my being the imaginative person I am led me to this. Enjoy:

"I guess it would only make sense that I would screw up eventually. I mean one can only Walk for so long without a mishap. I mean of course I left an Impact, but the Impact I made was not only way too big, but it was for the worse. Something I dont understand is how I got caught. I mean its not like I was noticed. How can you notice someone you havent met yet? I made sure to never go forward; always back. The only times I would go forward would be to do a quick check on the Impact I left.

Everyone knows Walking rule #1: Never leave a direct Impact. The logic behind this is that you cant get caught if you Impact an Event that leads to an Event that leads to the Moment. The more indirect you are, the safer you. Unfortunately, the more indirect you are, the harder it is to leave the correct Impact at the correct Moment."

I know it's after the fact, but, I have a terrible habit of coming up with, in my opinion, great plots. Unfortunately I always start with the end. I can see all of the potential this has, but i just don't know in what direction I should take my next step; which is why I'm here, so that maybe i can follow one of the paths you might take.

Sincerely,
ErkWitz

bazz cargo
January 27th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hi ErkWitz,
you want some advice
1 Read a page a night from a dictionary.
2 Always keep a note book and pen handy.
3 Never dispose of any notes or early drafts.
4 Write as long and as ramblingly as you want, the real secret is in the editing.
5 All good stories never start at the beginning. ( There are exceptions )
6 Encourage daydreaming.
7 Don't pay any attention to me, what do I know ?

You may have a spark of originality in a sub genre that I believed had been done to death, if that is the case you do not want follow a path that is already there, you will have to blaze a new trail.

I find working on more than one project at a time helps keep the writers block at bay, and occasionally leads to a bit of cross pollination.

One thing I do know, every first book suffers from first book syndrome, it is the second one that really shows what you are made of. Everyone starts of iffy, and gets better.

Write the first one, bury it at the back of a drawer for a year, then dig it out and redo it.

Also there is a big decision your subconscious is going to have to make, Artist Or Entertainer.
good luck
sorry I have been of no help,
Bazz Cargo

Tom Slaven
January 29th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I gotta say, I love the idea of this story, it seems pretty fun. Is this going to be a High School setting? Will the character inhabit a world of people with strange gifts?

I would love to hear some of this characters other "rules" about this "walking" he does so, Hopefully you post more!