PDA

View Full Version : Marilyn Monroe

lovetowrite
December 16th, 2010, 08:03 PM
My second stab at drawing a human face.

garza
December 16th, 2010, 11:21 PM
lovetowrite - What kind of pencils are you using, and what kind of paper? I sketch a lot using charcoal pencil and powder on butcher paper which works good for me. If you look in the various issues of the Newsletter you'll see some of my sketches, most of them with water colour added.

What have you done besides faces?

lovetowrite
December 16th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I'm using sketch paper and charcoal pencils. Looking into buying some Willow soft charcoals, for better shading.

I am predominantly an animal sketch artist. Equine, mainly, but I've also done some fantasy too.

garza
December 17th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I like powder for shading. Here's one I did a few months ago.

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/3/8/3/0/3830093/9962188.jpg

lovetowrite
December 17th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Wow! That's really good! :O

where do you get the powder?

Gumby
December 17th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I love to sketch too. I usually use graphite pencils and a lightweight paper. I've never used powder, would be interested to hear about it garza.

garza
December 17th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Mostly I buy from a little crafts supply shop in Chetumal.

The powder is tricky to start, but once you get used to it you can do finer shading and control contrast better than with a pencil. Angél has freckles on his cheeks and nose. To get the right contrast between the shadow on his cheek and the freckles I used the powder first for the shadow area then a soft pencil for the freckles. He sat in bright sunlight, which wiped out the freckles on his right cheek and almost wiped them out on his nose. I rescued the ones on his nose with a soft pencil. The shading under his chin would have been difficult, for me at least, with a pencil. As with many things, choice of weapons is mostly what you are most comfortable working with.

Usually I do a preliminary sketch with graphite, then go over it with charcoal. I also cheat. Sometimes when I've finished a sketch, but I'm not really happy with it, I'll scan it in and work on it with Gimp. I don't make any major changes, but do a bit of minor editing. And sometimes I use a combination of graphite, charcoal, and water colour to produce a picture that resembles a photo. There is a picture of the National Assembly Building in Belmopan in one of the Newsletters produced that way.

Then I'll turn the tables and turn a photo into something that looks like a painting. In the December issue the picture 'Los Tres Vaqueros Perdidos' is a hybrid. It started as a photo, I processed it to get a basic painterly quality, printed it out, added charcoal and water colour, scanned it back in, and did a bit more with Gimp. A purist would say, 'either use the photo or make a drawing'. I say I do whatever I need to do to get the picture to look the way I want it to look. If that's heresy, so be it.

Now, lovetowrite, let us see some more of your work.

lovetowrite
December 17th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Okay, but please dont laugh.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/350/4/9/fantasy_black_unicorn_by_pedrothepepper-d34zfv4.jpg

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/350/1/0/chair_by_pedrothepepper-d34zfea.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/350/6/d/fantasy_by_pedrothepepper-d34zeys.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/350/8/6/animal_by_pedrothepepper-d34zf5h.jpg

Gumby
December 17th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Very nice, you have a good artistic eye. :) I love the colors on the winged horse.

garza
December 17th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I like the shadow effect on the chair. That's very good - I can't do that with pencil. That's where I pick up the brush and use powder. The pointilist technique on the dragon is excellent. It lifts the drawing out of the ordinary.

You do good work. Thank you very much for sharing with us.

Sync
December 17th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I used to draw with pencil, sometimes charcoal, but found my love is for carving stone and wood, maybe its because my hands are upon it, I am unsure

nice drawings everyone who posted them.

Sync

lovetowrite
December 17th, 2010, 03:09 PM
You're welcome. :)

For the chair, I used Charcoal pastels.

But my favored medium is a set of charcoal pencils, to sketch with. Like I said, people are a new thing that I'm doing. I'm used to still lifes, and animals, fantasy, etc. So I figured I would try to expand my horizons to faces. Well, mainly since I put my foot in my mouth and promised my friend I would do a portrait of her favorite actor for her.

Sync
December 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM
:) I started doing that, carving dream sticks and figurines for a few and then a few more, and then, urgh...its a fine line between enjoyment and commitments when it comes to art. having to 'do it' vice 'just the mood'

Nice of you to do this for your friend.

lovetowrite
December 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Exactly.

When people get to be demanding and you feel rushed, it doesnt feel like your passion anymore. It feels like a chore. It's not fun anymore. :(

Gumby
December 17th, 2010, 05:03 PM
That is exactly how I feel too. I love to draw, but it has to be something I'm passionate about, or something that has made my fingers itch. I took about a 20 yr. break from drawing because of life interfering, then took it up again about a year ago. To date my favorite drawings have been of my grandchildren, it's not easy to capture that personality on paper. Here is one I did of my grandaughter Mia, last year.

Sync
December 17th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Very nice, this is. As you said, the character of the child can be seen easily.

thanks for sharing

lovetowrite
December 17th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I think you captured the emotion really well. :) It's nice! :)

garza
December 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Gumby - Now I'm sorry I posted the sketch of Angél. Your drawing of your grand daughter makes my sketches look like hen scratches. That's beautiful work.

Gumby
December 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Thank you both, she's a mischievous little monkey.

lovetowrite
December 19th, 2010, 10:28 PM

work in progress.

Gumby
December 19th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Nice, lovetowrite. I'd love to see the progression on this one.

garza, I've just seen your comment above. Thank you for the compliment, you're very kind. I have a brother who can draw unbelievably well, I would call him genius in his capability. Compared to him, I come off very poorly.

lovetowrite
December 20th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks, I'll definitely update with pictures. :)

And pish, posh. Yours are good enough. I like them at any rate, they make mine look like chicken scratch lol