PDA

View Full Version : Epistolary project -

mthorn
December 7th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Hi folks,

Recently I started a fun epistolary writing project (i.e. a story told through exchanged letters) and would love to get some feedback, regarding not only my writing but the format in general. Instead of clogging up the forum with a bunch of excerpts, I'll just give you the link: Sincerely, Richard. My concerns/questions, I guess, are these:

-Is the epistolary format too confining? Admittedly, it doesn't allow for much writerly description, and the (shifting) narrator can never really be sure what the heck is going on.

-Is it still believable nowadays? I mean, come on, no one really writes letters anymore. (Because of this, my story is set about 60 years ago, but that may not even be far enough back.)

-Is it too disconnected? Obviously, exchanged letters wouldn't cover every event of every day, so there emerge pretty big gaps in the narrative. I don't mind them much, but others certainly might.

Any responses to these questions or any general advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks a ton!