PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Incident Gone... Bad!

keats913
December 7th, 2010, 10:53 PM
As the first rays of sunshine glisten through the window above my head, it is only the lingering smell of wd-40 that bring me back to the reality of the situation. It was not a bad dream; in fact, nothing has changed. As I glance toward the bathroom door, I can feel my heart begin to pound as the waves of anxiety run through my body. Pure and simple, it is the temptation to give in to this defeat, that rouses me from sleep. A new day, a new chance. I will not succumb to this .... I will beat this!

Armed with all the right tools, including my cute little plumbing wrench, I started a project that, if everything went as planned, could have been at this point, another notch in my handychick belt. But no, that was not meant to be.

I could ask myself why, but that would only prolong the agony that needs to be dealt with. As I retrace my steps of yesterday, I can not imagine what went wrong; Everything seemed so right. The first nuts came off quite easily. A bit of under-the-counter gymnastics and some practical applications of the torque concept and I was good to go.

Three hours later:

What the......!!! Who would have thought this little piece of crap wrench would actually bend if you had to twist it too much. And the wd-40 seemed like such a good idea, until it started dripping down from the fixture it was applied to and was now slowly trickling into my hair. The blisters will probably be gone by saturday when I have to go back to work, so no problem, but the bruises on my back from leaning up against the edge of the cabinet, will last about as long as the resentment of the situation at hand.

I'm moving now; ready to give it everything I've got! All I need to do at this point is get the drain disconnected from the pipe underneath. Sounds so simple...if only I was a 250 lb. weightlifter with leather skin on my fingers, or had a large power tool or maybe a hack saw.

Don't make me have to call a plumber !!! That would be....Bad!!!

Sam
December 8th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Unless the house you're living in is fifty years old, the waste leading from your bathroom sink should be inch-and-a-quarter plastic piping. It should be connected to the bottom of your sink via a plastic back-nut. You don't need to pull it from the sewer. All you need to do is loosen the back-nut and pull the pipe from the sink. Slide it out of your way to the left and then concentrate on the two nuts connecting the copper pipes to the hot and cold taps.

Now, take your WD-40 and fire it out the window. Literally. It's not worth one sweet. What you need to do, instead, is take a turbo-torch (hand-held gas torch; you can buy one in any DIY shop) and apply heat to the seized nuts. This will melt the rust from around them, leaving it simple to remove the nuts. You will also need a second tool, like a pair of multi-grips, to stop the tap from spinning around in the fixture. Alternatively, get someone to stand above you and hold it still.

As they say in the construction trade, it's a poor man who blames his tools.

Edit: I'm after realising this is Fiction and not the Non-Fiction section. Damn. Sorry, thought it was a true story and request for help.

garza
December 8th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Good home handyperson advice is never out of place, Sam. I would, however, advise care in which direction the WD-40 is aimed. Not only is it usless, it's also flammable.

Cleven bit of writing, keats913. One economical alternative to calling a plumber is to sell up and move out.

Sam
December 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Sorry, I should have said that. Yes, don't heat the pipe if you recently applied WD-40 to it. To quote the OP, that would be bad!

Olly Buckle
December 8th, 2010, 11:08 AM
it is only the lingering smell of wd-40 that bring me back to brings. with an s.