PDA

View Full Version : Goin' Home.

k3ng
December 4th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Time for some fun news.

It has been quite a journey. Some of the staff here know the reason for a much extended absence from the site.

Over the past 2 or 3 months I've been on the offensive in my hunt for a job. I graduated music college in September and have been in pursuit of a substantial music job here in Hollywood. It hasn't been easy. It's brought something to my attention that while there may be much more opportunity here for the musician, there's is ample professional competition.

The guys I'm competing with for a job are literally the guys whom I've listened and admired growing up. The heroes who've inspired me are working in the studios next door and they're vying for the same jobs I am. It's ridiculous. And incredibly challenging.

Among the many jobs I aimed for there were a couple of cruise gigs that I applied for. I sent out my resume and waited for one of them to call me back. And one did. I was given the audition and I pretty much nailed it. The positive feedback from the company was incredible and they immediately tried to work a contract for me.

Well, that gig is now confirmed. I set sail in July for the caribbean! As a musician on a boat! Full time paid gig AND travel included? Nothing short of a dream come true. I think it's a huge second step (the first being coming out here and sticking myself through music college) in my career as a professional musician.

With that gig confirmed, I wasn't sure what to do next. I've got a couple of months before that starts and still a valid permit to work in the states. I could spend time here and connect with more people in the industry and try and work something out before flying out there.

But I've chosen to go home. It's been 20 months since I've been home and I miss my family. And I'm going to be on the move when I start work so I'll be away from them more. And they aren't getting any younger. I figure time spent with them is only growing more precious as the years go by. That is worth much more than the chance to get some kind of a gig here in Hollywood.

I fly at the end of January. So that will be 22 months in the States. It's been a wonderful experience and I've learned much about music, the world, life and my own faith in so many ways.

And I'm glad to be going home. The American Adventure, as I call it on my personal blog, is coming to a close and a new one begins.

Cheers guys.

Like a Fox
December 4th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Hey K3ng, congratulations! I know how hard those gigs are to get.

My cousin in a professional musician. He's done the cruise thing and absolutely loved it. Seriously, you'll have the best time.
He also got to work at Universal studios, star in a few indie movies, directed and produced a mini-ten-minute musical film recently, has been the lead singer for a well known Melbourne cover band, and has been in many stage productions.

It's an up and down lifestyle. Lavish times and hard times. But he's really happy doing it, and I hope you get to keep chasing the dream, even if it morphs and changes from what you thought it would be, each experience will have its rewards.

I think going back to your family is a great idea. To me it seems like life is all about finding a balance between striving for future goals, and appreciating the good things you have now. Sounds to me like you're making the right choice to cover those bases.

caelum
December 4th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Way to go k3ng, that's awesome. Nothing quite like all that work paying off. Sounds like you're having a great experience.

My brother performed on cruises for almost a year as a singer/dancer. He's a stage performer, has been his whole life. A musical every year since we were kids. Now he's a professional in Toronto and broke as hell, but quite happy. He's presently playing the lead role in a production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

terrib
December 4th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Gosh, it seems like yesterday that you arrived, k3....I can't believe it's been 22 months...but I know you miss your family....and I think you've made the right decision....the job sounds great...ah, to be young and traveling the world...what else could you ask for? :)

Eluixa
December 4th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I too think you've got your priorities straight k3ng. I wish you the best in the coming year! And truly I hope you get your sea legs fast!

Sam
December 4th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I'm with Terri. (No, not that way, Terri :D). I can't believe it's been almost two years since you moved to the States. It only seems like yesterday you posted a thread about it, K3ng. I'm glad to hear you've nailed down a dream job. Kudos, and good luck with it.

k3ng
December 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Cheers guys and thanks for the well wishes. Looking forward to the job, but right now looking forward to see my family again. Cool beans.

Sync
December 10th, 2010, 09:10 PM
That sounds sooooo Coooool :) Congrats and to get to see the family, I bet that day also will be a grand one.