PDA

View Full Version : Illustrations from my Novel

MJ Preston
November 14th, 2010, 01:45 AM
These are just a few pieces I've created while writing my novel.

MJ Preston
November 15th, 2010, 01:47 AM

terrib
November 15th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Who did these? Did you draw these?

MJ Preston
November 15th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Who did these? Did you draw these?

I didn't draw them with a pencil. I used my my computer and Paint Shop Pro. I guess I used a virtual pencil, airbrush, paintbrush. They are characters and scenes from my novel as I visualize them. Although the mental images are much sharper and better drawn.

1446 1447 1444 1448 http://www.writingforums.com/images/misc/pencil.png

Kat
November 16th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Very cool. Although it almost makes me afraid to read your novel now. I have enough nightmares of my own.

And I admire the fact that you actually did these *while* writing the novel. That just boggles my mind.

caelum
November 16th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Wow, awesome stuff, Preston. Very dark and surreal.

MJ Preston
November 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Very cool. Although it almost makes me afraid to read your novel now. I have enough nightmares of my own.

And I admire the fact that you actually did these *while* writing the novel. That just boggles my mind.

I used to paint, something like a 100 years ago, but sometimes I have luck with stills. You should see the desktop of my computer, what a friggin mess. Computer paint programs make it a lot easier. I doubt I could have painted any of these with a conventional brush.

As to what you said about doing them while writing boggles the mind I'm not sure I understand. Im visual, that is where I draw my ideas. The picture prompt we just did (thanks by the way) is like fuel in my writing gas tank.

Wow, awesome stuff, Preston. Very dark and surreal.

Thankyou caelum.

Gumby
November 16th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Those are truly awesome, MJ.

terrib
November 16th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Wonderful! Artist to me are a special group....these are God given talents I don't care what anyone says...it's amazing. Thanks for sharing them, MJ. I can't even draw a stick figure! :)

MJ Preston
November 17th, 2010, 03:03 AM

MJ Preston
November 17th, 2010, 03:06 AM
This is a variation on the first picture I put up.

Kat
November 17th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I used to paint, something like a 100 years ago, but sometimes I have luck with stills. You should see the desktop of my computer, what a friggin mess. Computer paint programs make it a lot easier. I doubt I could have painted any of these with a conventional brush.

As to what you said about doing them while writing boggles the mind I'm not sure I understand. Im visual, that is where I draw my ideas. The picture prompt we just did (thanks by the way) is like fuel in my writing gas tank.

I don't see my stories visually in my mind, they come across as words. So it's always fascinating to see someone who imagines them in more than one medium.

MJ Preston
November 17th, 2010, 04:36 AM
I don't see my stories visually in my mind, they come across as words. So it's always fascinating to see someone who imagines them in more than one medium.

Really, you don't see your characters at all. That is also very fascinating Kat.

Kat
November 17th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Not visually.

I make handbags. I usually start with a vision in my head and design a pattern. It's a very visual and conceptual. I can see it three dimensionally in my mind, inside and out.

I don't do that with my characters. It's a totally different part of my brain.

darknite_johanne
December 17th, 2010, 05:05 AM

these are really good. makes me wanna read the novel.

MJ Preston
January 15th, 2011, 12:51 AM
these are really good. makes me wanna read the novel.

Thank you, that is the idea along with the video, all of it is to promote the book.

I am presently putting together a virtual coffee table book with all my work.

Kat
January 15th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Thank you, that is the idea along with the video, all of it is to promote the book.

I am presently putting together a virtual coffee table book with all my work.

That is really cool. Please put up a link to it when you are done.

vangoghsear
January 15th, 2011, 02:09 PM
These are quite good. Great use of Paint Shop Pro. That's one of the ones I use as well. Good work.

Shirley S. Bracken
February 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM
MJ Preston, you have a great working knowledge of Paint Shop Pro! Do you take the photos too? I use Photoshop CS4. It was overwhelming at first but it will do everything! Too much really.
You have a good combination going. Writing drawing and video. I guess they all keep you motivated and focused.
I see I'm a little late on this thread, how's it going now?

MJ Preston
February 21st, 2011, 12:51 AM
MJ Preston, you have a great working knowledge of Paint Shop Pro! Do you take the photos too? I use Photoshop CS4. It was overwhelming at first but it will do everything! Too much really.
You have a good combination going. Writing drawing and video. I guess they all keep you motivated and focused.
I see I'm a little late on this thread, how's it going now?

Well the virtual coffee table book was completed and is on my website. I am searching for an agent to represent the novel and while I am waiting I have started a new project. I am now developing a graphic novel that is similar in layout to Heavy Metal Magtazine. I am using a combination of photography and paint shop pro.

I have played around with CS4, it's a nice program, but you really have to invest some serious time with that program and until the big cheques (ha) come rolling in I don't have time to invest.

You can visit my site by following the link in my signature.

Thanks for the compliments.

Mark

Candra H
March 22nd, 2011, 04:09 PM
Cool images, MJ Preston. I noticed this thread a while back but couldnt view the pictures because I wasnt a member. I just wanted to come back for a look and post a comment or two.

I like your imagination and that you're happy using digital methods as well as traditional. That gets my admiration because I'm very much a traditional artist, though I'm looking into digital for some areas. Don't know if I'd like to get into actually creating/painting images on my computer but I hear you about some things just not being possible traditionally.

Also second what you said previously about seeing your characters visually. I do that too and I'm never sure if it's an artist only thing but hearing writers talk, I'm beginning to wonder. When I first started writing I saw everything visually and kept trying to describe it all. But it kept bogging me down and I wonder if maybe thinking about characters/stories in words like Kat mentioned might not be a better way...

Anyway, just some thoughts that came to me while browsing your thread. Great artwork and I hope you'll post more soon.

And good luck with those various projects.