warmth chasing away
shivers of cold

until you grow accustomed
and the taste blends dull
and the hot chocolate
isn't so hot anymore.

SvirVolgate
June 12th, 2010, 08:07 AM
"spiraling you" -I'm not loving this as a verb.

"shivers of cold" -I'd add 'the' before shivers, but that's just me. This part still works.

I think you should maybe punctuate a little more, but i think this is a good poem. I think you can say a lot in just 10 lines :)

SilverMoon
June 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM
YWKM, a good poem with a couple of suggestions.

on a breezy winter's night
It may be just me but when I think of "brezzy" I think of Fall.
How about something like "on a "wind whipped" winter's night. And you get yourself a good alliteration here.

every sip spiraling you
with sensations of pleasure
I don't want you to loose your wonderful allteration here so I was thinking
spinning. Spiraling - seems a bit awkard in this context.

Enjoyed the read! Laurie

vangoghsear
June 12th, 2010, 02:22 PM
First of all, I really do like this. I like the movement from hot to cold and the metaphor works very well.

A few words are not quite right, but not bad, such as breezy although it is really not bad because I agree that at that point in the poem, a modifier for Winter wants to be a pleasant one; perhaps "blustery" it's a bit more Wintery, yet still pleasant. And I agree that "spiraling" may not work in the context where you have it, also it ends in "ing" which is just such a rough sound; it didn't really bother me until others have pointed it out though. I know you do still want an "s" word there. What if you just changed it to something like "spirals through you" and I think you need a comma after pleasure S2L2. It would read like this:

every sip spirals through you
with sensations of pleasure,
warmth chasing away
shivers of cold

You Wont Know Me
July 11th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hey there everyone! Sorry I haven't been on for a while - I took a holiday and when I got back logging-in procrastination kicked in, but now I've finally kicked it so I think we're even. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me critique on the poems I wrote. It really helped and meant a lot.

Hmm I just keep thinking spiraling out of control, but I suppose that phrase doesn't come across without the rest of the words.

If 'breezy' doesn't make sense then I suppose I'd go with something simple like 'snowy'. It makes me feel relaxed and comforted, while still connoting cold.