PDA

View Full Version : WF on Facebook and Twitter

Baron
April 22nd, 2010, 05:23 AM
A Facebook group and a Twitter profile have been created for WF.

Writingforums.com - Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/writingforumscom/212374038803386#!/pages/writingforumscom/212374038803386?sk=wall)

Twitter (http://twitter.com/writingforums)

In the event that the site is being upgraded or under maintenance then information will be posted on Facebook and Twitter to keep members in the loop.

AA
April 22nd, 2010, 05:34 AM
Joined.

Sigg
April 22nd, 2010, 05:34 AM
A Facebook group has been created for WF. Writingforums.com (http://www.facebook.com/editaccount.php?networks#!/group.php?gid=121691541174953)

Hah, even though I said I wouldn't join a WF facebook group earlier, I just did. Ah well.

Ilasir Maroa
April 22nd, 2010, 05:38 AM
Count me in!

Sigg
April 22nd, 2010, 05:40 AM
Count me in!

Weaksauce, you don't even use your real name on your facebook account. I disapprove.

Baron
April 22nd, 2010, 05:42 AM
Weaksauce, you don't even use your real name on your facebook account. I disapprove.

Ilasir is really a fictional character which makes it easy to fit in on a writing forum.

AA
April 22nd, 2010, 05:42 AM
Are you confident Ilasir isn't his name? It would be a pretty cool name, you have to admit.

NathanBrazil
April 22nd, 2010, 05:44 AM
Nice pic. I'm in.

Sigg
April 22nd, 2010, 05:44 AM
Are you confident Ilasir isn't his name? It would be a pretty cool name, you have to admit.

Yeah, I recall him mentioning his facebook account for his "online persona" before, so I know it's not his real name. Also no pic, extra bland weaksauce.

NathanBrazil
April 22nd, 2010, 05:46 AM
Talking about no pic. Why no 'tar here, Sigg? :)

Sigg
April 22nd, 2010, 05:46 AM
Nice pic. I'm in.

w00t, my favorite fake brazilian, to spice up the group!

Sigg
April 22nd, 2010, 05:47 AM
Talking about no pic. Why no 'tar here, Sigg? :)

I had one, long ago... lol, i don't know, laziness I guess?

It's not about secrecy or anything, most of the active members on this site know my full name, age, where I live and probably most of my life story haha... Perhaps one of these days I will put an avatar back up, who knows?

The Backward OX
April 22nd, 2010, 05:56 AM
A Facebook group has been created for WF. Writingforums.com (http://www.facebook.com/editaccount.php?networks#!/group.php?gid=121691541174953)
Can someone explain to this dummy exactly what this does or what it achieves and how exactly it assists the writing process?

AA
April 22nd, 2010, 05:59 AM
I think the idea is that it could potentially generate some more traffic, by other people seeing this group on individual's facebook pages and being curious enough to check the site out and join.

As for how it assists the writing process, I doubt that it does. But it sure makes me feel better about myself for joining.

Also, I don't think it does any harm.

Sigg
April 22nd, 2010, 06:01 AM
Can someone explain to this dummy exactly what this does or what it achieves and how exactly it assists the writing process?

It provides an additional medium to connect/communicate with likeminded individuals.

Kat
April 22nd, 2010, 06:42 AM
I joined, interesting see "some" of you. Total cop out not putting up a real picture

NathanBrazil
April 22nd, 2010, 06:44 AM
That would be me. I'm a cop out. :)

AA
April 22nd, 2010, 06:45 AM
Notttttt me, I'm Robert Cunningham, if you were curious. ;)

Kat
April 22nd, 2010, 08:07 AM
That would be me. I'm a cop out. :)

Yep, you would be one of them.

Well since I'm the only female so far it's pretty obvious.

AA- got to differentiate yourself from all the other Roberts. :lol: Surprised at how many there are for such a small group.
Just noticed your pic is in Walmart. That cracks me up for some odd reason.

Like a Fox
April 22nd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Joining that group has encouraged me to go delete all the bad poetry I posted on my facebook about two years ago. *shudder*

I'd been avoiding it because I knew I wouldn't want to see it all again. Hideous.

Ilasir Maroa
April 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I recall him mentioning his facebook account for his "online persona" before, so I know it's not his real name. Also no pic, extra bland weaksauce.

I'm not big on pics; you may have noticed my lack of an avi here. I'm not very photogenic anyway--you've been spared some eye pain. ;) besides, I'm not the only one without a picture of me on facebook. (ETA: There's a pic now, but it's not of me... or is it?)

As for the other thing, whatever. Ilasir isn't my "online persona". What a silly idea. :1star:

AA
April 22nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
Yep, you would be one of them.

Well since I'm the only female so far it's pretty obvious.

AA- got to differentiate yourself from all the other Roberts. :lol: Surprised at how many there are for such a small group.
Just noticed your pic is in Walmart. That cracks me up for some odd reason.

Ha, yes. I am taking pictures of "Angel Cat Sugar" China/Walmart's call to "Hello Kitty". I couldn't stop laughing when I saw it. What kind of name is "Angel Cat Sugar".

Sam
April 22nd, 2010, 05:36 PM

I'm with OX.

Facebook is a place for friends to keep in contact, share news, and tell each other about their weekends. I reckon very few people go onto it searching for writing forums.

Baron
April 22nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
I'm with OX.

Facebook is a place for friends to keep in contact, share news, and tell each other about their weekends. I reckon very few people go onto it searching for writing forums.
In fact there are quite a few writing groups on Facebook.

AA
April 22nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
I don't think it is THE long-term solution to the forum's problems, but it certainly doesn't do any harm. And I think some of us enjoy joining and seeing that there are in fact, real people and not evil communist robots typing all these haughty messages.

Ilasir Maroa
April 22nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
Ha, yes. I am taking pictures of "Angel Cat Sugar" China/Walmart's call to "Hello Kitty". I couldn't stop laughing when I saw it. What kind of name is "Angel Cat Sugar".

A badly translated one?

Sam and NTO- There are many many writers groups on facebook. I don't know how many are specifically focused on forums, but there's a lot of info shared around on that site, so if someone saw one of their friends in the group, I think a fair number would give the site a look. I'm not saying it would contribute greatly to a flow of new members, but still.

Sigg
April 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Seriously, what's with the negativity? No one claimed that a facebook group would solve WF's problems. It's just another thing to build more of a community and to reach out to potential members.

Ilasir Maroa
April 22nd, 2010, 06:10 PM
Seriously, what's with the negativity? No one claimed that a facebook group would solve WF's problems. It's just another thing to build more of a community and to reach out to potential members.

Lol, looks like those complaints about general negativity around here are not unwarranted. Although it's much what you would expect from NTO. Little surprised that Sam's pitching in, though.

AA
April 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
What does NTO stand for?

Baron
April 22nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
It's easier to try than to prove it can't be done.

Sigg
April 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
What does NTO stand for?

Nordic Thor Ox

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee88/jareiber/nordic_ox.jpg

Ilasir Maroa
April 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
What does NTO stand for?

It's a character from a book.

Baron
April 22nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
Another thought about the facegroup page is that it's a centre to maintain the flow during any site downtime. In particular this will be useful in the event of site migration and upgrading.

Sam
April 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
Lol, looks like those complaints about general negativity around here are not unwarranted. Although it's much what you would expect from NTO. Little surprised that Sam's pitching in, though.

I have an intense dislike for Facebook which stems from a serious issue that happened me and my ex-girlfriend some months back. Now, as a rule, I've become very wary of using it in any context. Perhaps it will work, perhaps it won't, but I'm sceptical of how valuable a WF Facebook page will be. After all, if a writer wants to join a writing forum, they join a writing forum. They don't join a social networking site to find a writing forum.

I don't mean to be negative. Do whatever you all feel is best. I just know I won't be part of it.

Baron
April 22nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
I'll refer you to my previous post, Sam - #13. The fact that a Facebook campaign put Rage Against the Machine in the Christmas number one spot in the charts speaks volumes about what a powerful tool it can be. The campaign was deliberately waged to prevent Simon Cowell getting one of his manufactured "stars" into that spot, as he has done repeatedly in recent years, and it worked.

Sam
April 22nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
I'll refer you to my previous post, Sam - #13. The fact that a Facebook campaign put Rage Against the Machine in the Christmas number one spot in the charts speaks volumes about what a powerful tool it can be. The campaign was deliberately waged to prevent Simon Cowell getting one of his manufactured "stars" into that spot, as he has done repeatedly in recent years, and it worked.

Touché.

I remember it well. I was very happy that another of Cowell's generic warblers didn't get top spot.

Onwards and upwards, then.

Ilasir Maroa
April 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
I have an intense dislike for Facebook which stems from a serious issue that happened me and my ex-girlfriend some months back. Now, as a rule, I've become very wary of using it in any context. Perhaps it will work, perhaps it won't, but I'm sceptical of how valuable a WF Facebook page will be. After all, if a writer wants to join a writing forum, they join a writing forum. They don't join a social networking site to find a writing forum.

I don't mean to be negative. Do whatever you all feel is best. I just know I won't be part of it.

Ah, that's fine then.

To be honest, I don't do much on facebook myself.

Sigg
April 22nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
Ah, that's fine then.

To be honest, I don't do much on facebook myself.

Me neither haha... I think our WF facebook group will just be a bunch of inactive groupies.

Ilasir Maroa
April 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Me neither haha... I think our WF facebook group will just be a bunch of inactive groupies.

Just what we need to attract new members! ;)

Baron
April 22nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Any news about the purchase of WF will now be published on the Facebook page.

Thanks to those people who have made financial contributions towards purchasing and upgrading the site. Any further donations towards the costs, as well as the expense of using Google adwords to restore the site to a prime postion on Google search, will still be appreciated. PM me for details.

k3ng
April 22nd, 2010, 11:51 PM
I'm not a facebook person myself but I've always assumed that there was a WF group before this. I'm actually surprised no one's bothered to make one until now.

Certainly can't hurt to have one.

The Backward OX
April 23rd, 2010, 12:06 AM
What's all this about groups? How does that work?

Baron
April 23rd, 2010, 12:07 AM
What's all this about groups? How does that work?
Simplisically, it's like a mini community.

The Backward OX
April 23rd, 2010, 12:37 AM
Any news about the purchase of WF will now be published on the Facebook page.
Why must I go elsewhere for that news?

Thanks to those people who have made financial contributions towards purchasing and upgrading the site. Any further donations towards the costs, as well as the expense of using Google adwords to restore the site to a prime postion on Google search, will still be appreciated. PM me for details.

Hmmm. Is there any way of gauging how sincere the present owner is, towards selling? Might he pull out of negotiations? Is there a "binding on both parties" option to purchase?

Baron
April 23rd, 2010, 12:50 AM
Why must I go elsewhere for that news?

Hmmm. Is there any way of gauging how sincere the present owner is, towards selling? Might he pull out of negotiations? Is there a "binding on both parties" option to purchase?

Because during movement of the site there will probably be downtime and people in the Facebook group who are in contact with other site members will be able to notify them of the situation. It's about maintaining a flow of information.

Negotiations are already complete.

AA
April 23rd, 2010, 12:54 AM
So, when's the big purchase then? Whose buying it, btw, you?

Baron
April 23rd, 2010, 01:01 AM
So, when's the big purchase then? Whose buying it, btw, you?
I thought you'd been following these threads.

The Backward OX
April 23rd, 2010, 01:13 AM
Negotiations are already complete.
I take it this means the haggling's finished. But how about the actual transfer of ownership?

Baron
April 23rd, 2010, 01:14 AM
I take it this means the haggling's finished. But how about the actual transfer of ownership?

It'll be taking place during the next few days.

Ilasir Maroa
April 23rd, 2010, 02:16 AM
It'll be taking place during the next few days.

Cheers!

*cheers*

The Backward OX
April 23rd, 2010, 02:18 AM
I hope there's no chicken-counting going on here.

AA
April 23rd, 2010, 02:36 AM
I thought you'd been following these threads.

Just this one, and the way it has been presented, it looked ambiguous or potentially like a "rumor" or for some a "worst case scenario nightmare". So I asked the questions to get answers directly from you or anyone else who has direct answers to give. :)

Ilasir Maroa
April 23rd, 2010, 03:49 AM
Just this one, and the way it has been presented, it looked ambiguous or potentially like a "rumor" or for some a "worst case scenario nightmare". So I asked the questions to get answers directly from you or anyone else who has direct answers to give. :)

Lol. Robbie's silly. I don't see why he couldn't just have answered "me".

The Backward OX
April 23rd, 2010, 04:02 AM
Because a) it's ungrammatical - sheesh, and this is a writers forum - and b) it may technically be incorrect.

AA
April 23rd, 2010, 04:21 AM
And comments like that are what lead to my initial question/the ambiguity of the matter, from my perspective.

The Backward OX
April 23rd, 2010, 04:42 AM
Okay. I joined. Now what do I do? :???: How do I find all these WFers who are supposed to be there? :???: All I see is a page with some names of people I've never heard of. And even if I did know them, what would I do? No, don't answer that. I don't want to know. I just want to know how that site is going to keep me up to date with what WF is doing. :???: That should be an easy question for someone like Sigg to answer. :???:

Ilasir Maroa
April 23rd, 2010, 04:47 AM
Because a) it's ungrammatical - sheesh, and this is a writers forum - and b) it may technically be incorrect.

We're not writing a story. "Me" is a perfectly valid response in the English language.

As for the second part, Robbie's(Baron) buying the site, so I don't see your point. Unless you mean that some people are contributing smaller amounts because Yusuf is asking such a high price.

Moving on to your next post, it just means that if the site is down, you'll be able to find out by checking the discussion boards. And hey, I'm there, and you've definitely heard of me.

The Backward OX
April 23rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
if the site is down, you'll be able to find out by checking the discussion boards.
Discussion boards? What discussion boards? I don't see any discussion boards. What button do I click?

Baron
April 23rd, 2010, 05:14 AM
Discussion boards? What discussion boards? I don't see any discussion boards. What button do I click?

Have you actually joined the group, Edna? I don't see you in the list of members. At the top of the group page, beneath where it says writingforums.com, there is a line of tabs, one of which is "discussions".

The Backward OX
April 23rd, 2010, 05:26 AM
Have you actually joined the group, Edna? I don't see you in the list of members. At the top of the group page, beneath where it says writingforums.com, there is a line of tabs, one of which is "discussions".
When I click on Groups all I get is a blank page saying I don't belong to any groups and to create one. There's no mention of WF anywhere and there's no tabs anywhere.

Edit: I think I've figured it out. Phooey.

NathanBrazil
April 23rd, 2010, 05:38 AM
What's your login name? I can be-friend you and chat you through this. It will be a lot faster than doing this through forum posts.

The Backward OX
April 23rd, 2010, 05:45 AM
What's your login name? I can be-friend you and chat you through this. It will be a lot faster than doing this through forum posts.
Saved by the bell. I think I've figured it out.

Sigg
April 23rd, 2010, 07:37 AM
Saved by the bell. I think I've figured it out.

I don't see you on the list of 20 members... If you are still having trouble in say, 8 hours, when I'm sober and rested, please PM me so I can help you.

KangTheMad
April 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
I joined, though I didn't have the time to read anything. :D

The Backward OX
April 24th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I don't see you on the list of 20 members... If you are still having trouble in say, 8 hours, when I'm sober and rested, please PM me so I can help you.
Thanks, but I'm not having any trouble. Lurking will suit me fine.

Baron
April 24th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks, but I'm not having any trouble. Lurking will suit me fine.

So what are you going to do if I set the group to private?

The Backward OX
April 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM
So what are you going to do if I set the group to private?
Eh? I thougt you told me a person could make their own settings as private as they wished, or something like that.

Thomas the Rhymer
April 24th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Eh? I thougt you told me a person could make their own settings as private as they wished, or something like that.
On your personal page you can. On the group page I can set it so that only members of the group can see it. Don't worry though, I don't think that would be a particularly good idea at this time.

moderan
April 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM
http://www.terebess.hu/english/img/cow06.jpg

The Backward OX
April 24th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Who's that riding shotgun?

moderan
April 24th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Confucius would be my guess.
The Facebook group seems to be a very good idea. It does have some community spirit to it, and is a good source of information during downtimes.

Sigg
April 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Plus it takes some of the anonymity out of the writing community, that generally forces people to be more respectful towards each other. Or in my case, I can taunt people with their real names instead of screen names.

BitofanInkling
April 24th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Please try to not post too much on Facebook! I am not on Facebook and even if I were (I might join later) I don't want to broadcast to all my friends about all the forums I'm on. So what I'm asking is that you post important information here as well, not just there.

The Backward OX
April 24th, 2010, 11:36 PM
What a stupid remark. How can what one person posts have any bearing on what another person posts?

Thomas the Rhymer
April 25th, 2010, 12:00 AM
What a stupid remark. How can what one person posts have any bearing on what another person posts?
Dumb Ox. I think you've misunderstood the post again, Edna.

The Backward OX
April 25th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Dumb Ox. I think you've misunderstood the post again, Edna.
Myopic Che. Look at the time stamp on the edit. The last para was the edit.

awford
May 2nd, 2010, 12:13 AM
I'm in.

PSFoster
June 4th, 2010, 02:37 PM
One of the writing groups on Facebook is Accentuate. Michelle lists lots of writing opportunities on there. Also, several authors have pages on there, such as, Christie Silvers, W.G. Griffith, Sevastian Winters, and even Anne Rice.

Baron
September 20th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I've now opened a Twitter profile as well. The link is in the OP. You'll also see a new Tweet Board link on the left hand side of the site.

The Backward OX
September 21st, 2010, 02:54 AM
\\:D/

Kat
September 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM
I've now opened a Twitter profile as well. The link is in the OP. You'll also see a new Tweet Board link on the left hand side of the site.

I saw this yesterday but today it's not there. Did you have to disable it?

Baron
September 21st, 2010, 09:54 PM
Tweetboard are doing maintenance work.

eggo
September 22nd, 2010, 12:28 AM
Being directly in the left, middle of the page is a little intrusive to this non-tweeter.

Can users disable or move the tab?

Baron
September 22nd, 2010, 12:30 AM
Being directly in the left, middle of the page is a little intrusive to this non-tweeter.

Can users disable or move the tab?

I'll have a word with Chrispian and see what can be done.

eggo
September 22nd, 2010, 02:48 AM
Maybe just me. When I'm reading a piece and roll down the page, my eyes inexorably go right to it.

Thanks, Captain.

ppsage
September 24th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Maybe just me. When I'm reading a piece and roll down the page, my eyes inexorably go right to it.
It's not just you Eggo. Inexorably. Also seems to me to make pages load slower, on this marginal puter. 8 tweets, I guess it's saying, after 2-3 days? pp

The Backward OX
September 24th, 2010, 05:01 AM
So? The world is full of distractions. What you guys need is >>focus<< not Chrispian messing with settings.

Ilasir Maroa
September 24th, 2010, 05:04 AM
So? The world is full of distractions. What you guys need is >>focus<< not Chrispian messing with settings.

Can the OX truly speak truth?

Martin
September 24th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Well I'd like less distractions as well and I've no interest in twitter whatsoever, but if the majority of WF users like to be distracted this way, then fine by me. Maybe change the red colour to green or blue and relocate the box to top or bottom to soften the impact?!

Baron
September 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM
A reminder that joining the Facebook group of Following WF on Twitter will help you to stay informed when upgrades are being installed or other maintenance work is being carried out on the site.

Sirena
February 12th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Is this a must? Because I keep FB very private, with a fake name and limited friendz

Ariel
February 12th, 2013, 12:57 PM
No, it isn't a must. What is a must is that you stop using "z" for "s."

:)

Sirena
April 7th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Hahaha I hope you're joking and I should tell you why - it's to remember my cat. I began an online magazine a while back, it's bi annual and cruelty free and it's all written by animals and my cat's mother Tiger (RIP baby) was the editor now my kitten took over, but anyway, the langwidge iz laik dis ;PPPP and sometimes it's stuck in my head and comes back to me and I do it, so if you see it and you hate it, ignore it hahaha