Thread: new to writing

new to writing

hello

I am 28 years old and new to writing. I have always loved to read. I came to love reading through non fiction but now read fiction almost exclusively. Reading fiction has made me very interested in writing creatively and I write often. What are some resources I can use to become better and learn more. Thanks, looking forward to being active on this forum.

Cheers

Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome mjt.

Firstly what fiction do you like to read?

Now for the boring bit you must make ten valid posts (these are posts in any of the forums baring the lounge of living areas. The best way is to vist the prose or poetry forums and offer critiques on other member's work. Don't be shy it is an aspect of wF we encourage.

Once you have made your tenth post you will level up to full member status and your name will turn green. Thus opening up more of our wonderful forum to you. Such as the challenges that run each month and the different groups.

Since you are both young and new to writing I would point you towards both the young writers group and the new writers bunch.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Looking forward to getting to know you and seeing you around.

Welcome to the forum mjt. I'm new here myself.

New to writing you say? Well, welcome to the most infuriating, frustrating, difficult, yet amazing, life-changing hobby.

I'm certainly no expert, but two books I think any writer of prose should have on their bookshelf is: Strunk and White's The Elements of Style, and Zinsser's On Writing Well. Those are as good of places to start as any. Aside from that, you have to read voraciously and write regularly.

I look forward to reading some of your work.
    “As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun doing news reporting than in any other enterprise. It really is the life of kings.” - H.L. Mencken

Welcome mjt.
    You have already found a good resource - this forum.
    Maybe a fairly light start might be Stephen King's On Writing. It is partly an autobiography and contains some stuff about the nuts and bolts too (he hates adverbs ). It's not as in-depth as many resources, but might be a decent place to start.

Hey there, welcome to the forum! I can definitely relate to what you said. For pleasure reading, at many points in my life, I almost exclusively read nonfiction, especially historical, but over the past few years I've started reading a lot more fiction, on my own time and for the courses I took while an undergrad. Hope you enjoy yourself here and continue to explore your writing.

Thank you of the feedback. I like all kinds of fiction. I am currently tackling infinite jest and that has consumed me for a few months now and will most likely consume me for a few more months to come. I will check out the recommended forums. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Infinite jest? What is this, I don't think I've heard the term before.