View Poll Results: Please vote for as many poems you feel are deserving.

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
    The results in this poll are hidden.
  • Nor Any Drop to Drink by ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord

The results are hidden 0%
  • A Coward's Solution for Unpleasant Recollections by Chester's Daughter

• The Beach Between Chapters by andrewclunn

• Sandstorm by midnightpoet

• The Sands of Tide: Song of the Lamb by Darkkin

• The Great Sand Dunes (Haiku) by Nellie

• Whodunnit by Phil Istine

• Toe and Cheeks by The Fantastical

• Burned Beyond Recognition by sas

• Untitled by astroannie

• astroannie by escorial

• Faith by PiP

Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: "Sand" Voting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastical View Post
    Then we need to motivate people to actually comment. Make commenting mandatory, if you enter you need to critique or else your entry is excluded. Simple.

If critique was mandatory I would not enter. Simple. I enter the challenge because the prompt inspires me, not for critique.
    Check out more of our members' creative work on

Who is PiP?
    PiP blogs at PigletinPortugal.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastical View Post
    Then we need to motivate people to actually comment. Make commenting mandatory, if you enter you need to critique or else your entry is excluded. Simple.
    Forcing members to comment, especially given how certain individuals respond to true critique is not right, fair, nor the proper way to engage participation. It takes free will and choice away from the readers. What happens if they don't want to comment on a piece? If it were mandatory, I'm guessing the gloves would come off in a hurry. As a reader, I cherry pick for critique. Topics I understand or something I actually have a thought about. I don't critique something simply because it's there. At least a minor interest needs to be felt by the reader. And having judged on things like the PiP sometimes finding something constructive to say can be tricky. Yes, the writer is a moot point, but the world is far from an ideal place and most writers take real critique as a personal insult because empty praise was not heaped on their heads. Quite simply, people more often than not don't want to hear what readers really think.

I've been on the receiving end of writers' bruised egos. They make sure you know you are stupid, worthless, and a monster for personally attacking them. It is obvious you don't know how to read and know nothing about writing, let alone reading. Nope. Some pieces might be an interesting read, but aren't worth bothering to critique do to the amount of overt drama attached. What writers tend to forget is that real critique takes time and involvement. Critical thinking being much more than a one line empty platitude.

So knowing how some writers react to critique, why would a reader willingly subject themselves to the aforementioned drama when they know full well few will reciprocate with similar and honest critique? You want to force a rendered service and that is quite simply wrong. If it were a requirement I would have to say, no I would not enter on moral grounds. It is not right to expect critique and not give it. I also know the level of effort that goes into writing my pieces and my critiques, and to expect that of others is not only unrealistic, but unfair.
    Last edited by Darkkin; Today at 12:11 AM.

I do not critique these Challenge Poems. I feel if any want critique they will put it where it is expected. In fact, I posted a poem in June's challenge that scored very poorly. I couldn't figure out exactly why, so plan to post in workshop to learn where I went off track. I'm too close to the poem to figure it out by myself.

I fully intend to do critiques once the deadline has passed. I mean if you're submitting your work to be judged then you should be able to handle critiques.
    Nature is awesome.
    Translate this to Japanese
    syllables unchanged

There are reasons I like both the monthly and the PiP. Both are unique and a good source of inspiration. But trying to force critique via dramatic statements is shabby netiquette. And it is exactly the sort of behavior that inhibits a reader's response. It is entitlement of an individual that can effect the reactions of the group. The popular vote criteria is determined by the readers, but the choice of critique should always remain in the hands of the readers. As writers, we are not entitled to a reply. However, we are entitled to write, share, observe, participate, discuss, and critique. And often you receive as much as you give. Demanding it negates the needs of the many for the wants of the one. And that is fundamentally unfair.

History too often repeats itself, and as such, it is easy to comprehend why 'critique' devolves into mudslinging. Cran and CD are spot on with their observations. Critique submitted under duress is not going to be objective so much as grudging and that is not a realible measure of any writer's work.
    Last edited by Darkkin; July 21st, 2017 at 08:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Can we put this matter to rest now guys. As has already been said this challenge does not force people to critique, just as it doesn't force anyone to enter. I think that this scoring thread has now come of track and we need to get it back on track.

If you want critique then post your poetry in the poetry forum TF is my suggestion.

Goodluck to all who have entered.

I've not voted yet. I will finally have some free time tomorrow to run through them.
    Good luck to the thread and all who sail in her.

Blog Entries
    Enough. This is a voting thread.

If you wish to continue with this discussion then please make your own thread in the poetry discussion forum.
    Last edited by H.Brown; Yesterday at 04:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    i voted.
    on the poems.
    did you?

Naughty, naughty. Hannah politely requested, not once but twice, that everyone realize that this is a voting thread and take the discussion aimed solely at the fine art of critique to Poetry Discussion. I have moved all posts that were not directly connected to the challenge itself to the Bistro. Should you desire to continue your discussion, please create a thread in Poetry Discussion. Any further off topic posts in this thread will be pulled. Kindly heed staff directives in the future, not doing so is not only rude, it is ignoring staff and I know you guys are better than that. Thank you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345