Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet Still They Count Their Sheep (villanelle)

I am totally in love with this villanelle. The cesura runs almost through all lines and reminds me of the original Arabic Qasida (not the English version), which is also closely related to music. Absolutely beautiful!!!

I'd thank you twice if I could. If you have time, tell me more or link me to an easily accessible source....I'm not familiar much with Arabic anything and I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    I'd thank you twice if I could. If you have time, tell me more or link me to an easily accessible source....I'm not familiar much with Arabic anything and I'm curious.
    I could tell you a whole lot, but I don't exactly know where to start.
    Once you get me started I am unstoppable, and you really don't want that.
    So I am asking you the question first: Do you want to know about meter, about poets, or would you like to read translations of poems?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post
    I am totally in love with this villanelle. The cesura runs almost through all lines and reminds me of the original Arabic Qasida (not the English version), which is also closely related to music. Absolutely beautiful!!!
    I want to know an example of what this reminds you of. A translation, please. lol. And the music it's related to. I do music, a bit -- I'm saving up for a guitar of my own and am using a loaner. Links would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post
    I could tell you a whole lot, but I don't exactly know where to start.
    Once you get me started I am unstoppable, and you really don't want that.
    So I am asking you the question first: Do you want to know about meter, about poets, or would you like to read translations of poems?
    The idea that you would tell me about meter intrigues me. Although I can replicate/mimic rhythms, I can't .... percuss in time to music accurately. I own a Very Nice Tambourine but I keep it locked up because I'm a public nuisance with it. The mimicry comes from my early infatuation with parody--I could rework songs and keep all the subtleties. One of my proudest achievements was "Enter Wagner" a parody of Metallica's "Enter Sandman" for the closing pitcher Billy Wagner, who used the Metallica song as his theme music.

So here we are then: Meter, Music, what this reminds you of--examples.

I wrote a reply, my PC got a hickup... I lost it.....
    I am not going to try again tonight, but I promise to make a decent document once I get my scattered thoughts under control.
    I am sorry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12