Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Dreams of Monsters (21,711 Words) *Violence, Sexual Content, Blood*

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    I'm not complaining, I'm pointing out the problems an acquiring editor would have, and why. You miss the point: No one is going to read 22,000 words unless you hook them and make them want to read the rest.
    Ah, and here's the rub. I've given up on giving a damn whether my story ever gets published. In fact, I thoroughly expect to never make a cent off my writing. I dedicate myself to telling the story for the sake of doing so itself. And if the story doesn't resonate with you, that's fine. There's plenty out there. This is just my story.

As for the rest of your rant. No, I'm not bypassing the regular rules of fiction. I'm not someone who blindly believes himself a revolutionary who'll turn the writing world on its head. I just find them stifling and don't apply for the story I want to tell. Like you said, common writing techniques are useful for the human experience. Well, there's nothing human about my main characters.
    The truthful lie and unbelievable are my wings so I walk among the skies.

Come see a little through my eyes
    My site

Ah, and here's the rub. I've given up on giving a damn whether my story ever gets published. In fact, I thoroughly expect to never make a cent off my writing. I dedicate myself to telling the story for the sake of doing so itself.
    Problem is, your reader looks at it in the same way they look at professionally written work. And that's their measuring stick.

Publishing isn't a clique, where they make up rules for the fun of it—making it a lottery as to new people getting published. A publisher, because they will invest significant money into bringing a work to market, must know what readers react to, and reject. They literally spend every working day learning that and using it in preparing the work.

Yet because you don't plan to be published bypass the step of learning how to write, and assume that you can create your own method—based on nothing but the nonfiction writing skills we learn in our school days—and please a reader.

You obviously want people to like your work. You wouldn't have posted the link to it, were that not true. But you're demanding that the reader adapt to your made up writing techniques without taking their needs and perceptions into account. Unfortunately, there is an implied contract between writer and reader. They give of their time, and we provide something that's worth the time, as they see it.

Obviously, you can write any way you care to, and post anything you care to. But it seems to me, that to write and edit 21,000 words takes significant time, thought, and effort. And, I assume you enjoy writing enough that you'll do it again, and yet again. Given all those nights at the keyboard, and the commitment required, spending some time reading a few books on the tricks of the trade would seem to be a wise investment of your time.
    Jay Greenstein
    My articles on writing.
    The goal isn't to tell the reader that the protagonist is terrified, it's to terrorize our reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    Problem is, your reader looks at it in the same way they look at professionally written work. And that's their measuring stick.
    Yes, and as I've said, I'm not looking to publish this work beyond putting it up as something for others to read and writing for my own sanity. Other people's interest is nice and appreciated but is not the goal.

Honestly, you've by and large spent a lot of words telling me to either 'conform to the norm' or insinuating I'm incapable or lack the understanding of writing to write for a broader audience. Yet, you understand that I've spent more than just those 21,000 words, Jay. I've spent over a decade literally trying to find the right tone for this story. If you check the backlog of my posts, you'll find variations on this story that I've run into walls time and time again. So, let me say this one more time:

I know what the normal conventions are and they don't work for the story I'm telling.
    The truthful lie and unbelievable are my wings so I walk among the skies.

Come see a little through my eyes
    My site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12