Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please, not them.

Please, not them.

For those who donít live in the UK this is the strap line for the national lottery adverts. I want to high jack it for a new Ďpoliticalí movement for ordinary people. Not politically minded people with political ideas, but the people who know what they donít want. Politicians want to know what we want, ĎVote in a referendumí they say; why is it down to us? They are the professionals who are supposed to know. Sick of politicians? Sick of being asked for opinions you donít hold? Sick of the pompous? Sick of the sycophantic?

Join ĎPlease not themí.
    No registration, no log in, no list of members to be sold on. Simply drop ĎPlease not themí into the conversation whenever it turns to politicians, if you feel really active, deface political posters with the words ĎPlease not themí. We are not the formulators of policy, we canít tell you how to get what the public want; we simply know what we donít want, and voting only encourages them.

PLEASE NOT THEM
    Visit my website to read and listen to stories songs and more
    http://www.oliverbuckle.com/

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. http://www.writingforums.com/threads...Piglet-s-Picks

I can't imagine what it must be like not to have the choice to vote and I know democracy ain't perfect but being a rebel is all well and good but to get things done you have to become part of the established order..I appreciate the sentiment of the thread and kind of agree from a distance..Yep on the fence..
    The only one who can heal you is you.

It didn't take long to realise
    The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
    Where she can't see you
    For her gaze, it blisters;
    Grey skin to cinders

WRITER OF THE MONTH: APRIL WINNER

WRITER OF THE MONTH: MAY WINNER

WRITER OF THE MONTH: JUNE NOMINATIONS

I guess here in the United States the best way to say 'please not them' would be to vote for a third party. That doesn't really work because in most cases you don't need to have a majority to win an election; you just need to have the most votes (and in the Presidential race, you don't even need that thanks to the Electoral system).

Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition! (Monty Python)

Reporter: How did you find America?
    John Lennon: Turn left at Greenland (A Hard Day's Night)

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    I guess here in the United States the best way to say 'please not them' would be to vote for a third party.
    But "them" is third person plural. Doesn't that make "them" a third party by definition? Oh gosh, I'm being pedantic again, aren't I?
    Do you have any feedback to give about beta reading? If so see HERE.

www.MensTemporum.uk - Fiction or prediction? What inspired my writing? Judge for yourself.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    But "them" is third person plural. Doesn't that make "them" a third party by definition? Oh gosh, I'm being pedantic again, aren't I?
    The party has no objection to specificity; 'them' is a fairly abstract group, but it may be shortened to 'him' or 'her' when appropriate. Thus, party members might graffiti Labour party posters 'Please not them', but a Teresa May poster may bear the legend 'Please not her’.

The object is to object, not propose.

On election day we shall be having street parties, playing golf, shopping; anything but voting. No doubt ‘they’ will vote for each other and elect ‘themselves’, but if we can get turn out down to single figures they cannot claim a mandate for their foolishness.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    if we can get turn out down to single figures they cannot claim a mandate for their foolishness.
    Surely by law they can as there is no quorum in an election so far as I know, just as any majority is an adequate one. Not matter how small the turnout the one with the most votes can claim the mandate because nobody else can. It might not be a moral victory but it would still be a legal one.

Failure to vote is just regarded as indifference, which could be interpreted as either protest or satisfaction. It just signifies that the electorate considers all candidates equally competent without defining what that level of competence is. It's the equivalent of someone posting a critique that simply reads "I looked at your story."

"Screaming Lord Sutch" registered the Official Monster Raving Loony Party over thirty years ago as a satirical protest and long stop in the electoral system. It meant that if the electorate ever turned their backs on the serious politicians then the loonies would take over. There are always fanatics who will use a system to their advantage, so there always has to be a moderate hard core to stabilise it. If a party such as UKIP presents a valid protest to some aspect of the status quo then the electorate can respond to it and change may result, as it evidently has.

The biggest problem with the British electoral system is the continued use of the first-past-the-post non-transferable voting system, which was expected to maintain stability in the long term but doesn't any more because once it is finely balanced random influences not necessarily representative of any public opinion have greater effects. If anyone seriously wanted to change the system to be more representative then they should stand for electoral reform. The recent problems that the Labour party had in choosing a leader demonstrated that it isn't the choice available that matters so much as the method of choosing.

What's the alternative? I'm not convinced that using trends on Twitter to run a country can work, but perhaps our friends across the pond will establish that one way or the other eventually.
    Do you have any feedback to give about beta reading? If so see HERE.

www.MensTemporum.uk - Fiction or prediction? What inspired my writing? Judge for yourself.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Blog Entries
    I can see Mr.Buckle's point but I DO think that this one is necessary and if the tories get their landslide there won't be another one for a while I reckon.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Failure to vote is just regarded as indifference, which could be interpreted as either protest or satisfaction. It just signifies that the electorate considers all candidates equally competent without defining what that level of competence is
    Okay, we don't fail to vote, we spoil our votes by writing 'Please not them' across the ballot paper signifying, not that we regard them as equally competent, but equally incompetent. As for defining the level of competence needed to win a vote, not our business, our leading object is to object not lead. As I understand all spoilt votes must be shown to both candidates and their agents, if more than 50% of the ballot was spoiled the count might take a while.
    '
    'Please not them' is basically a-political
    if the tories get their landslide there won't be another one for a while I reckon.
    At the risk of going off track, the way Mrs M talks about the opposition opposing we might be headed for a dictatorship and have to wait a bit more than the usual five years. On the other hand the way she is presenting she might not get her majority. I would agree the election is necessary, with eighteen MP's being investigated for electoral fraud her majority could vanish. PLEASE NOT THEM

Democracy: a well organised revolution. No guns, just votes. No blood, just a war of finger pointing. The UK kind of democracy has its faults but I don't see anything better.

Besides, if you ain't happy with what choices we have you can stand up and become one yourself. You need £150, a logo, a manifesto and two other like minded souls to start a party.

My opinion of Mr Farage is not suitable for the nervous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast